Pokitto Magazine Issue 2: Article Submissions

Now that 2020 has started and holidays are wrapping up, I think it is a good time to start collecting content for the second issue of the Pokitto Magazine!

Some ideas have been discussed back in November on this thread.
We also had some fantastic community feedback over here.

Submissions are open to the entire community! Anybody that wants to share to the greater good of Pokittoland and be published in the highly prestigious Pokitto Magazine is welcome to submit content!

For those who are newer to the community or may have missed the first issue, you can find it over here. Taking a look through there could give some great ideas for what the community needs :wink:

Being a community magazine, this is also open to folks who would like to give a try to help out in making the magazine. Proof readers, artwork, Game advertisements, and other necessities in making an outstanding magazine would all be great!

# Deadline:
Looking at a start of June for a tentative deadline for this magazine. (Summer, 2020)

Update on Deadlines

Since we want this to be released soon, as in next Month hopefully, we will need the submissions finalized in the coming week.

In that regard:

Submissions Deadline: June 28

This is a “soft” deadline, in that we really want everything in by then, however if folks run into an issue where it would be a day or two late then that is acceptable as well.

This leaves 1 week until we need to start finalizing everything. So lets get that content in! Magazines finalized (I’m guilty), Photobooth entries! and any other content folks would like to submit for the epic second issue of Pokitto Magazine #2!

Types of Content (see issue 1 for examples):

• Articles
  • Game ads! Submit an advertisement for your games for the whole community to see.
  • Photos of your Pokitto related projects.
  • Tech related humor.
  • Tips and tricks (kind of like an article, but smaller).
  • Any other ideas of what you’d like to see or share with Polittoland.

Submitted articles:

• Sharing Your Games Dont Forget A License - Drummyfish
  • FM Radio HAT - spinal
  • Pipes Game Tutorial - filmote
  • Tilemap in C++ - filmote
  • So you want to program your Pokitto in Assembly #1 - FManga
  • Python basics: adding sounds, using eeprom, etc. - Hanski
  • Trials and Tribulations: The Development of a Pinball Engine for the Pokitto - tuxinator2009
  • IR Remote Control with Pokitto - Torbuntu
  • Making of Canabalto - HomineLudens
  • Game Reviews - By community members

Work In Progress articles:

• Pokitto hardware schematics, part 2 - Jonne
4 Likes

In what list are unfinished articles supposed to be?

How do you mean unfinished?

I mean that I understand by “submitted” as ready for publishing, but I might be wrong.

I would like to have somewhere a list of WIP articles.

2 Likes

I could add it to the top of this post like I have submitted as a list?

Ok. I am going to write:

• Python basics: adding sounds, using eeprom, etc.
2 Likes

Added to the list :smiley: thanks!

Pokitto hardware schematics, part 2 by me

2 Likes

I will need Jonnes help - i sent him my draft for an article, but shortly afterwards my PC broke, couldn’t restore everything including my article :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Hey Nicole - I totally forgot this - sorry. I will dig up the email!

3 Likes

A reminder that the “suggest a programming article” thread never came to fruition…

If nobody comes up with anything I might just pick a crazy topic and write an obscure article that baffles half the forum. :P

I think pretty much anything I write would probably end up being a rehash of a better explanation of the concept, but now I’m beginning to think that even a watered down rehash in the magazine is more likely to get people to actually listen to the idea.

3 Likes

Want me to put you down for a To Be Named programming article?

Not just yet, I’m going to hold out hope that someone will come up with something they actually want to know about.

If I have the time and nobody comes up with something specific then I’ll fall back on preaching the virtues of C++11 and ‘good form’, explaining some undefined behaviour and/or ‘gotchas’, or just damning the things I don’t like.

3 Likes

:smiley: alrighty. Just let me know!

What is the time frame for mag 2? I could do an article on the Tilemap class in C++ (based on @Hanski’s Python sample) and build it out from there.

3 Likes

I didn’t personally have any deadlines. It would be a little while for folks to come up with and write out articles and other content.

OK … count me in for a tilemap article. It would have a bit of code / a bit of explanation. What format do you want the submission in?

On the last magazine I was asking for odt files that LibreOffice understands.
See: last time

I think the font could be a bit smaller. It looked a bit too big for a paper magazine at least.

1 Like

Still plenty of room for more content submissions or proposals.
Remember it doesn’t explicitly have to be an article. For example we had a PhotoBooth section in the first magazine and that turned out awesome! Very unique and fun photos of Pokitto’s from around the world.
We also had a crossword puzzle!
There was talk about a tech related jokes, we could try and do a section on that this time if folks have anything good to share. Maybe a custom Pokitto related comic :wink: ?

4 Likes