Pokitto Magazine, issue 1: Feedback

What did you like in the zine? What could be improved? What kind of articles or other things you would like to have in the next issue?

2 Likes

I will read the longer articles on the paper version, but I liked the bicycle speedometer article because of the very simple concept with a lot of possibilities to develop further. I also have never made an interrupt handler myself for Pokitto, so it was very educating too.

2 Likes

At the risk of being the voice out the chorus (Iā€™m the latest arrival here, I might still be a bit out of sync with the established community, so, please forgive me : ), but, I think pokitto has a punk/indie heart that doesnā€™t show from the mag.

This is what I saw when I got the pokitto:

I love that! love the DIY indie-ness to this little handheld, itā€™s got character!
The magazine has great content, a great layout too, super slick, but maybe too polished and a bit in contrast with that sweet punk-ass DIY pcb?
Just my 2c, I really think it came out great, and this community should only be proud of it, Iā€™m just trying to think of ways to really express the latent potential of this little dude and attract a whole bunch of other people currently minding their own business on fantasy consoles and itch.io.

5 Likes

It is only good that you have fresh eyes and notice things we are too used to. You are very welcome to contribute and bring fresh ideas to the next (ā€œpunkā€?) issue of the magazine :wink:

3 Likes

I will read the print version, i only downloaded the pdf for a quick look. But i want to celebrate the first issue reading it slowly, carefully turning the pages, smelling the fresh scent of the paper and have funšŸ˜†

2 Likes

Punk? Red and black mohicans?

1 Like

And stencils and text written on typewriters

1 Like

Eheh, I tend to stick to the more romantic definition of punk, without the leather jackets and the spikey hair. In our case here, just people that prefer making quirky games on a little DIY handheld rather than playing triple-A games on a PS4.
Nothing wrong with playing triple-A games either, of course.

1 Like

If you have ideas of cool stuff youā€™d like to contribute, just say so :smiley:
Issue 2 will need some great content :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for being such a welcoming community! and once again congrats for the first big step!
First and hopefully, with grace from work and family, I will contribute with a little game : )

2 Likes

What ā€˜more romanticā€™ definition of punk?

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d really describe that as ā€˜punkā€™.
Iā€™m not sure what the right word for it is, but I donā€™t think ā€˜punkā€™ really fits.

To me ā€˜punkā€™ just conjures up images of the Sex Pistols and rowdy people in leather jackets,
which I think is almost as far as you can get from the Pokittoā€™s friendly image.

Regarding the Pokittoā€™s ā€˜imageā€™ā€¦

Iā€™d say itā€™s actually closer along the path to ā€˜kawaiiā€™,
especially given the choice of colours available for the cases.

You like the Sex Pistols?

I donā€™t like them, but I donā€™t dislike them either.
Itā€™s not really the kind of music Iā€™d choose listen to,
but itā€™s also not the kind Iā€™d turn my nose up at.

(The controversy that surrounded them and their ā€˜messageā€™ Iā€™m a bit more ambivalent about,
but I wonā€™t go into that now.)

At any rate, like I say, theyā€™re pretty far removed from the Pokittoā€™s friendly ā€˜imageā€™.

Pharap, you might be surprised of what punks think of being punk ; )
Punk has always been about doing things your own way. What it represents for me is ultimate freedom and a sense of individuality.
Billie Joe Armstrong"

" Punk rock should mean freedom, liking and excepting anything that you like. Playing whatever you want. As sloppy as you want. As long as itā€™s good and it has passion.
Kurt Cobain"

" To me, punk is about being an individual and going against the grain and standing up and saying this is who i am.
Joey Ramone"

To me, being punk is developing on a low-fi handheld when all Iā€™m supposed to do for a living is pushing limits on next gen hardware, and doing all of this just out of passion.

Punk is Jonne developing a handheld with a cpu supposed to go on toasters and washing machines, when the world clearly asks for latest and greatest.

I think punk is whoever puts his heart in here, like you or Felipe, just for the fun of it, without caring if the modern world would rather see those impressive skills applied in more remunerative fields.

2 Likes

With all that being said the Mag as it is could still be punk because I did it the way I wanted with the time I had and freely without boundaries imposed by anyone. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I do get what you mean.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not actually had mine open to see what doodles it has.

Those quotes remind me of the uniqueness paradox.
Everybody is unique, therefore everybody is the same.
This kind of thinking isnā€™t exactly unique to ā€˜punkā€™,
itā€™s existed in many different forms over the years.

At any rate, Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s not what most people think of when they hear ā€˜punkā€™.
I think most people think ā€˜musicā€™ rather than ā€˜ideologyā€™.

All this talk of ā€˜supposed to doā€™ and ā€˜without caring if the modern worldā€™ almost makes the Pokitto sound like some kind of counterculture.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. (I certainly hope thatā€™s not the case.)

Without meaning to downplay the Pokitto, that aspect of it isnā€™t unique.
Thereā€™s quite a few (at least three that I can think of) programmable handhelds out there using low-end CPUs.

In my case thatā€™s not entirely by choice.

If I had the opportunity to work in a decent gamedev company making PC or console games then Iā€™d probably jump at it.
(Or even something more mundane if the salary was decent.)

The website this quote is from have made a pretty bad spelling mistake.
That should be ā€˜acceptingā€™; ā€˜exceptingā€™ makes the sentence nonsensical.

They all have the same doodles.
If you spot any pictures on the forum, itā€™ll be the same thing on your board.

And I think it came out great, I hope my ā€œpunkā€ feedback didnā€™t sound as if thereā€™s anything wrong with the first issue!

Most likely not, and I really didnā€™t mean as if we should write the word ā€œpunkā€ on the next issue, so lets actually drop the whole punk thing ; )
My only real feedback was about finding a unique graphic style that shows from the very cover of the next issue.
Again, no idea what that would even be yet, and maybe itā€™s not even the case that the mag really need any of that, just a thought.

1 Like

The definition of Punk, according to me

ā€œMore enthusiasm to express than actual skill and resources allowā€

I think the entire Maker ethos is Punk. I definitely got pulled in by that.

Exhibit A: Pokitto HQ from which the entire Kickstarter campaign was run.

Make any conclusions you wish. I couldnā€™t hide the DIY-ness of Pokitto even if I tried.

9 Likes

This makes me way too happy