Roguelike port?

@adekto @jonne is working on the problems encountered with the PC version. Linux and hardware both working ok. Idk if the menu is yet working. Who can do the graphics for the title screen?

oh yea the random crashes, idk it can range from 1 min to several minutes
its a bit odd but it seems to be related to window focus
i recall there was a recording thing idk if its writing to a file at the same time
but its freezing not actually crashing

so my assumption is something with the buttons maybe since if you keep hitting inputs it wont randomly freeze only if you let it idle for a but

send an collaboration invite to the pokitto GitHub account, so if you wanted access there you go

Here is the crash. I left the program running in Debug mode and this is where it fails.

Its got something to do with the rendering system

I found it.

Can you spot it ?

In PokittoSimulator.cpp

Uint32 rfrsh_callback(Uint32 interval, void *param)
{
    if (simulator.isRunning()) {
            simulator.refreshDisplay();
    }
    return(interval);
}

and

int Simulator::isRunning() {
    refreshDisplay();
    return simRunning;
}

8 hours left, we will easily make it.

Please add a title screen @VonBednar if you feel up to it.

And as for gameplay elements, feel free to add gameplay elements if you can.

I will take care of the crash, try to get some music in and put the submission to itch.io

1 Like

I am quite certain @jonne has fixed the issue now.

1 Like

I am not sure yet. I left the sim idling for a long while and when I get back if it hasnt crashed then I really did find it

1 hr 10 min no crash!

Correct answer to question:

int Simulator::isRunning() {
    //refreshDisplay(); <- this
    return simRunning;
}

PokittoSim used to refresh the display every call to .isRunning().

However, I made the refresh an automatic callback function to make the screen refresh independently - just like it would in hardware

Unfortunately, I forgot to remove the refreshDisplay(); from the isRunning() function

This creates a race condition for the Display hardware. Refresh gets called while another refresh is going on. @spinal This is probably the cause for the “turbo” issue you have experienced also.

1 Like

Oh wow! A lot of progress made while I was sleeping in! Now I feel bad that I did.

I will try to come up with a quick make a quick title screen for Columns & Coffins.

It would be super cool if we could have a video showing the game running on the real hardware on our itch.io submission. We should also push a build for pokitto on the page apart from win/linux, just to generate some curiosity.

1 Like

We will do exactly that. Also, should the device be visible in the sim or not? Feelings ? From marketing point of view it would be better

Can we have it visible by default, but there would be lime a key combination or something do make it disappear.

We should use a pokitto in magenta or cyan for it :slight_smile:

There are 2 bugs in the game that I see. Monsters can stack on each other, can we make monsters solid so they can walk on top of each other?

Also, goblins show up. Should we just limit it to skeletons + zombies? We can always swap goblins for zombies.

Also, it seems monsters can hit at diagonal. We should keep it to only 4 cardinals (up, down, left, right). Making a roguelike with 8 directions on a d-pad will be a real pain!

Any chance of implementing gold drops on hit (static chance per hit)?

And perhaps adding some floor ornaments?

EDIT: enemies with a lot of health are boring fight right now. If an enemy spawns with more than let’s say 6 health, limit it to 6 and spawn another one of the same type with the difference.

I have created the itch.io profile. We are good to go.

Edit: 2 hours in, no crash. I think the crashproblem is now solved.

2 Likes

I :heart:the goblins. Please lets keep them.

I love them too… but… but… theme :scream:

Anyway, if needs be, we can leave them… I would like to have themed dungeons down the line tho, so we have crypts of the undead, goblin caves, minotaur mazes…etc.

I think we have the music for this game:

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Captive_Portal/Laughing_Turkeys_-_EP/

The whole EP is excellent.

I will now start jamming this into the simulator.

Good news @jonne! We have permisson to use the song(s).

1 Like

Thanks @Olli !

I am trying to make it something like this:

6 Likes

This is so awesome. I wish I could leave work right now and contribute as much as possible before the end of the jam :confused: I think having a video of it running on a real Pokitto is an awesome idea as well. You guys are all doing great work! A little over 5 hours left in the jam.

1 Like

fixed that
looking into spawing more enemys right now

added gold from killed enemy’s

1 Like

That’s sound good!
This game will be the killer app for pokitto if you all continue to develop it.

1 Like