Roguelike port?

It was my mistake to include these palette files in the lib, they should have been left open.

I will update the sim repository soon (as soon as I get time) and open all this stuff

BTW: on Ubuntu the sim runs no problems after 45 min

const unsigned char paletteCGA[48] = {
0x00,0x00,0x00, //black
0xFF,0xFF,0xFF, //white
0xff,0x00,0xff, //magenta
0x00,0xFF,0xFF, //cyan

0xFF,0xFF,0x00, //yellow
0x00,0xFF,0x00, //green
0x00,0x00,0xFF, //blue
0xFF,0x00,0x00, //red

0x3F,0x3F,0x3F, //dark gray
0x7F,0x7F,0x7F, //light gray
0x7F,0x00,0x7F, //violet (dark magenta)
0x00,0x7F,0x7F, //teal (dark cyan)

0x7F,0x3F,0x00, //brown
0x00,0x7F,0x00, //dark green
0x00,0x00,0x7F, //dark blue
0x7F,0x00,0x00  //dark red
};

I really want to make music for this game but Iā€™m just moving another city. And all of my equipments are already moved. :pensive:

2 Likes

On linux the sim refuses to lock up or become unresponsive. Therefore we must deduce that it is our friend Windows that we must look at.

It turns out that the palettes in the images were all different. I figured out how to rearrange palette colors in Gimp, and now all the colors seem to work great with no modifications needed in the game itself. Iā€™ll push my changes now.

Edit: Pushed!

2 Likes

Thank you so much. That helps a lot

Edit: moving over to windows now to see about the locking up / speed issues.

Hereā€™s one free track I found which could be used for the first cgajam entry by PokiTeam.
https://files.freemusicarchive.org/music%2Fno_curator%2FCaptive_Portal%2FLaughing_Turkeys_-EP%2FCaptive_Portal-05-_Some_Sort_Of_Secret_Level.mp3

1 Like

Excellent! Iā€™ll try to make it run in the background (Pokitto has streaming music)

Edit: where is this from, in case I need to use CC-BY?

1 Like

http://freemusicarchive.org/genre/Chiptune/

And which one is this ? (1244 songs)

By Artist named:Captive Portal
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Captive_Portal/

Really wish I had some time to work on this some more before the deadline. The jam ends an hour after I get out of work :confused:

Who will be the one submitting? I figured @jonne would represent us all.

If you guys could get a standard title screen, game over, and resetting back to title screen on death we would probably be in good shape as for an at least playable game at this point.

I can do it yes. I need to add the randomize thing to the sim and other things.

All I can say after ā€œplayingā€ this for a while is that the gameplay is a bit thin still

BUT

This will be an awesome game eventually. We need to add visibility raycasting. I have actually done something like that some time ago:

It handles windows and doors too

EDIT: 20 minutes gone in Windows Sim. No lockup / slowdown /unresponsiveness. Win 10 64-bit

3 Likes

Also, I think : Skeleton Spearman Steveā€™s Column & Coffin Emporium should be the official name of this Roguelike

Ooh ! oooh no ! wait

ā€œColumns & Coffinsā€

like ghosts & goblins ā€¦ its perrrrfect!

2 Likes

Iā€™m running Windows 7. Could it be that specific of a problem?

Edit: are you making any changes to the game right now?

Not at the moment ā€¦

Edit: just out of the blue it froze.

'tis a weird problem

Edit: builds directly in hardware, no issues at allā€¦ testing

I know I have written the software myself but I canā€™t help being amazed

Its like christmas every time I download something that the community has done and it just runs

6 Likes

I just added a title and death screen. Really bare-bones right now, but it at least gives some consequence for dying. The number of floors in the dungeon works, but not the year since I didnā€™t implement anything about a goal of how much gold to get every year or a year menu. I think it wouldnā€™t be too much to add if somebody wants to do it. I left the screens simple because I figured someone with artistic talent could actually do something nice with them.

I donā€™t know if you were joking about the title or not, but I went with it.

Edit: Wow, it looks great on the actual hardware.

3 Likes

I have pushed my changes adding the title screen. And with that, I think I donā€™t have any more time to work on this before the deadline. Good luck to everyone for adding more features to the game before the jam is over!

Also, I had been thinking earlier about the premise and the theme, and I wrote a similar background story to the game to @jonne 's, inspired by his and sharing common elements. I still think yours is better but I wanted to share:

Every year, for as long as anyone can remember, it has been the same thing. Lord Mort of the Undead refuses to pay his taxes. You, as the crownā€™s most trusted tax collector, must venture forth into Lord Mortā€™s domain every year and extract his taxes by force by stealing gold from his halls and his minions until his debt to the crown has been paid. But beware, Lord Mortā€™s property value appreciates quickly (itā€™s prime undead real estate!), so you must venture deeper into the dungeon depths every year in order to extract his ever increasing taxes from his clutches.

2 Likes

I think for simplicity the year should be replaced with Gold collected and taxes paid. If the yearly tax would be e.g. 100 units of gold, a simple counter could then track the Debt remaining in years. If the max would be 900 years, the max score would be 90000. That could be something only few players would ever be able (in sanity) to reach.
In addition a simple leaderboard should be added, and a credits screen showing all the coders who took part in the jam.
@jonne you could easily add these two small features, if others are now busy.

hi sorry im late, work n stuff, is everything going ok?
is the menu working on hardware?

oh btw jonne, dont forget to add your name to the menu list XD your doing allot to help us out