Pokitto Magazine Issue 2: Article Submissions

Great! I can take care of it also this time. I might get a bit better deal now, let’s see :slight_smile:

@vampirics, do you happen to remember the font size in the issue #1? What would be a good resolution for the pictures if, for example, the picture size is 1/4 of the page size?

1 Like

In general for printed document all image should ideally be at 300dpi. As for the font size, for optimal readability 11pt is best but a lot of magazine even use 9-10pt. In the first magazine issue I went for 11 or 12pt I think. Mostly to have a couple more pages to not look like a flyer :stuck_out_tongue:

Depending on your audience, older people might enjoy the font being not too small. But that’s up to you guys.

3 Likes

@Vampirics I would really, really like a cover based on dark ritual… can we do it somehow?

I can’t promise anything as it’s getting crazy at work and don’t have much time. Also it’s still not clear what kind of cover you wanted. Last time I suggested an illustration and you came back saying you want pixel art. Also do you need a full page art and you will overlay text over it about the other articles?

1 Like

@Vampirics this is a sketch of what I am seeing in my minds eye

5 Likes

… ok. I will at least make you something a little better then just the title screen graphics. But if it’s the kind of thing you want I should be able to provide something fairly quick then

2 Likes

I am not sure if I want that. I am kind of liking the “Assasins Creed at 2dpi” look

1 Like

If you are going that route I would suggest making the top of the hoodie overlap over the magazine header as if it’s going out of frame at least.

I want some sort of drama in the cover. There is so much flat colour now. Suggestions more than welcome

We need one more person for the editorial work, to help out @torbuntu

Any volunteers?

Edit: maybe 2 people. Naturally paper version of magazine for the ones who volunteer.

3 Likes

What kind of help exactly do you need? I don’t have much time for working on building the magazine like last time but if it’s just reviewing text I can help.

We need your ability to see things. If you can’t / do not have time to draw, give art direction / visions of what you see as art for articles

1 Like

Oh I just noticed that there is an article for Kong 2 - How we made it. I am not going to be able to produce another article in the near future as I now have a massive RFI to write for a prospective customer.

1 Like

That is just a mockup of the cover.

Yes, you are right.

I had a horrible feeling I had committed something that I might have to renege on!

Ok, that means if I have a picture that will be two inches (about 5 cm) wide on the paper magazine, the image should be 600 pixels wide. If a have a pixel graphics image, is it a good idea to pre-zoom it up to 300dpi? I suspect that if I let the publishing SW to do upscaling, it will use some filtering and unnecessarily smooths the pixels.

10cm wide at 300dpi is 1181px

Generally that is the recommended approach for pixel art. I encountered that when printing the walkthrough for my Shattered Lands game for the Arduboy.