Pokitto Magazine Issue 2: Article Submissions

I want to see the mag out in early July. This means practically articles must be submitted within 3 weeks from now.

I will put in the effort to compile the mag and do the layout, if there are no other alternatives

2 Likes

For my pinball engine article (which will be mostly the technical achievements in making the physics work) how best should I format it. Currently I’m planning on just making an ODT document (since LibreOffice can easily be downloaded) with any pictures/diagrams and then let whomever does the editing to arrange the information in a layout suitable for the magazine (possibly making minor edits for length).

2 Likes

One thing to remember. Write the visible http address for all links as the paper version cannot have hyperlinks :wink:

1 Like

Or better yet: have a list of links in a footer or at the end of the article.

5 Likes

I noticed that copy-paste of code from the PDF (in Micropython article) to PyInSky do not work perfectly. At least not from the PDF opened in Chrome. The indentation is lost.

Yes, this time I will put the codes in gitHub also but it would be nice to be able to do copy-paste from PDF also.

1 Like

You know what they say, you learn it better when you need to actually write/type it.

But yeah when I made the magazine I was only treating it as something that would be printed and read. I didnt really though about copy-pasting code. Sorry.

Qr code? Or am I too old and is some kind of lost technology :grin:

I am serious. Let’s get cracking with the magazine

2 Likes

I fell off the radar a bit in the current events. Let me know what I can do to help get this moving!

1 Like

Your task is to take care of the overall contents list, to remind people to submit articles, and to keep track of the situation.

I promise to do the heavy lifting in InDesign to get the actual stuff laid out

1 Like

That’s actually a quirk of how .pdfs (or possibly .pdf readers) work.
If you try to copy text from a .pdf and paste it then it usually ends up with strange spacing.

(This is one of the many reasons why whitespace sensitive languages are a bad idea.)

Most computers can’t handle QR codes.
Not easily anyway, you’d have to take a photo and then pass that photo to some QR-deciphering software or website.

You can use both, but the full URL is still necessary.

How about the, now traditional, interview of the jam winner? I think we can use the same questions as in the first issue. There have been actually two jams since the first issue.

5 Likes

I can do this also. The Java Jam was won by @HomineLudens and @Vampirics, the Punk Jam was won by @spinal. Are 3 interviews too much for one issue?

4 Likes

I don’t think that is too much. Though I’m not sure if we have a size limit?

1 Like

3 is too much IMO. I can skip. I’m also quite a shy person so I feel quite embarrassed to be interview.

Are you sure? This might be the one and only chance to have an interview in the mag, who knows :wink:

1 Like

Here are some guidelines for the articles:

1 Like

@jonne Was there enough sales last time that we are going to have the paper version also this time?

If yes, I suggest a smaller font size (was it 12 pt in the mag?). Compared to the other paper magazines the font looked too big.
Also the resolution of the pictures should be big enough. Even if it the picture might look good on the screen and in the PDF, it can look crappy on the paper because of higher DPI.

3 Likes

Almost all of the magazines are gone. Maybe 4-5 remaining. So yes.

4 Likes

maybe this time i don’t need to pay extra shipment :laughing:?!

2 Likes