[Game]Planet Escape [wip]

Another minor update is in the first post, v0.4.2, bringing a requested addition and some minor changes:

• Added trash bin
  • Lowered slime spawn rates
  • Maybe actually fixed enemy spawn bug
  • Added particles for status effects
  • Added version number on title screen
  • Many behind-the-scenes changes for the unreleased PC version

The new trash bin item is cheap to craft and allows you to place up to 5 items within it. Adding any more items destroys the oldest item in the trash bin. All trash bins share a common inventory, and the trash bin will hold the items in it until you exit the game, but its contents are not saved when you save the game. You can craft it at the sawmill.

7 Likes

Great timing because we will be writing about this game in the next mag!

2 Likes

That’s great! I hope I get a good review! :wink:

3 Likes

@wuuff are you Trodoss of Hackvision fame? :open_mouth:

Nope, that’s not me! I wish I had a track record like that. I did port one of Trodoss’s hackvision games to the Gamebuino a while back, but that was just me getting myself familiar with the platform.

2 Likes

“of Hackvision fame”?

See here: it is an arduino based video game system
https://nootropicdesign.com/hackvision/games/

3 Likes

And if you’re asking “why not of Arduboy fame?”, Jonne was active in the hackvision forums and probably first heard of Trodoss there.

1 Like

Ah, so I see.

Until now I’d only heard of the Hackvision by name, I had no clue what it even was.

Though from the looks of it, he only made two Hackvision games - “Elventure” and “Poofy Adventure”.

Not particularly. I wasn’t even sure if it was the same Trodoss.

Granted though, for some of us that will indeed be what he’s more likely to be remembered for.

(Though Team ARG did actually publish their games for other consoles too.
Several of them were available on multiple consoles.)

I didn’t even know Trodoss was in Team ARG

Read about his involvement here before the website finally dies:
http://www.team-arg.com/more-about.html

3 Likes

A new version of Planet Escape is in the first post, v0.5.0!

This version features:

• A day/night cycle, with a moving sun and moon that indicate the current time
  • A shifting color palette depending on the current light level
  • Decreased light underground
  • Light emitting blocks that increase the light level
  • Increased enemy spawns in low light and decreased spawns in bright light
  • Chopping the trunk of a tree fells the whole tree
  • Fixed tree spawning bug
  • Nighttime enemies, with new item drops

This update was based on community suggestions, so let me know if there are ways you think this could be improved!

Some new future plans include a possible overhaul to combat, including new weapons and adjustments to weapon cooldown and knockback, along with an optional hard difficulty.

6 Likes

A review of this 0.5.0 version will be in the magazine!

6 Likes

Version 0.5.0 is a big improvement. Really enjoyed it. Some thoughts:

1. The atmosphere is getting there. Day/Night cycle is absolutely step in right direction. I would like the night to be even more pronounced. Without a torch, you shouldn’t see much anything!
  2. Wolves, IMHO should not be killable by bare hands. There could be less of them, but “slapping a wolf” is not a realistic scenario for a Finn
  3. Saunas. We need a sauna. Sauna will replenish your stamina (see point #2 about being a Finn)
  4. Things to hunt. Chickens. Food/famine cycle.

The game is definitely getting there. I would just so love to have a more intense version of it

8 Likes

In the Mother series of games (Mother 2 was known as Earthbound for its western release) onsen (Japanese hotsprings, similar to a sauna but outdoors) will restore your health.

They’re particularly prominent in Mother 3.
(I was going to post a video, but I couldn’t find a decent one.)

4 Likes

They are also used in the Harvest Moon games and Stardew Valley :smiley:

A new version of Planet Escape is in the first post, v0.5.5! This version doesn’t have a lot of new content, but I decided it was better to release what I have now than to keep waiting until I finish the more significant things I have planned. I think this update does make the content already in the game easier to explore, though.

There are a lot of behind-the-scenes changes in this version, but there are also a few interesting new features too:

• Save format has been overhauled
  • Sound effects and music have been added!
  • Chest capacity has been increased from 6 to 12
  • Limit on number of chests allowed in world has been removed
    • Chest contents are cached in memory and saved and loaded individually from the SD card
    • The game autosaves after changing the contents of a chest so they can be saved to SD
  • Quest log has been added
    • New quests give players tasks to do and keeps track of which tasks have been completed
    • This new quest system hopefully will serve as both a guide to what can be done next and incentive to keep exploring
  • Notification system has been added
    • Text can now pop up at the bottom of the screen to notify the player of a new log entry or other important game events
  • Combat has been rebalanced, with knockback significantly reduced and reserved only for more powerful weapons. Night is more dangerous now.
  • Misc. bug fixes

The quality of the music could be better, and I might try some things to reduce noise in the music, but I think that slower, quieter music just might not fare as well with 8-bit samples at a low sample rate.

Saves from older versions will not be compatible with this version, and likely saves from this version won’t be compatible with the next version either. Please give it a try anyway and let me know what you think!

6 Likes

After 8 months, another update to Planet Escape, v0.6.0! I wanted to post an update to show the game is still being worked on and share my progress.

This update still does not include an ending, but it’s getting closer. There is only one more stage of player progression I need to add before the ending. This update is an intermediate step towards that.

The update includes:

• A boss battle!
  • More music and sound effects
  • New weapons, a new digging tool, and several new crafting ingredients
  • Redone loot drop system - now you can come across containers full of loot
  • Quality-of-life inventory improvements
    • The item in your hand no longer uses an inventory slot
    • Armor equips instantly instead of needing to be “used”
    • Almost all items (except for weapons) can be used as a weak digging tool
  • Lots of combat rebalances
  • Many bugfixes and underlying changes
10 Likes