[Game]Planet Escape [wip]

Another 8 months, another update! This update, v0.6.5, adds more survival-oriented features to the game, as well as an opening cutscene to provide a little context for the adventure.

Still no ending, but I felt that adding a beginning first was important.

Featuring:

• An opening cutscene
  • Hard mode
    • If you die, your items are dropped in a gravestone where you died
    • You have one life to try to recover your items
    • If you die again, your items in the gravestone are destroyed!
  • Optional hunger
    • You get more hungry over time, and eating reduces hunger
    • Being hungry reduces your max health, but you canā€™t die of hunger
    • Paired with hard mode, this can lead to some intense moments!
  • New food item
  • New ranged weapon
  • Pebbles and grass now spawn randomly on the ground
  • New item pickup sound
  • Reduced enemy spawn rates
  • Light blocks can now be toggled on and off
  • Adjusted crafting recipes to make tools simpler to craft
  • Plants now drop 1-2 seeds instead of always dropping 2
  • New and changed log entries
  • Improved word wrap in log entries
  • New hunger notification messages
  • Added queue for notifications
  • Trimmed SFX sizes to reduce bin size
  • Seedlings now must be placed on a grass tile to grow into a tree
  • More bugfixes and underlying changes
8 Likes

Awesome! Canā€™t wait to have the time to try it!

2 Likes

I have released another update to Planet Escape in the main post, v0.6.9! As @jonne mentioned in one of the Pokitto+ teasers, Iā€™m working on multiplayer for Planet Escape, but this release is intended to be the last one without multiplayer. Multiplayer is well on its way, and I already have all the fundamental multiplayer features working, but there are still lots of things I still need to do. This update consists of a lot of bugfixes and quality-of-life improvements, along with a handful of new features, but nothing major.

The new features include:

• Added numeric status effect timer in inventory, showing how much longer a status effect will last
  • Gameplay adjustments
    • Larger player slash collision box
    • Coyote time for more forgiving jumps
    • Adjusted player acceleration, allowing for more precise position adjustments
    • Consumable items no longer are used when player interacts with a chest or crafting station
  • Changes to spawning logic
    • Enemies now despawn if far enough away vertically
    • Night creatures now spawn based on darkness level rather than time of day
    • Lowered spawn rates again
  • Pickup sound now plays when crafting
  • Fixed long-lasting bug when drawing entities near world boundry
  • Only autosave when chest contents are changed
  • Enabled hunger by default
  • Time of day is now saved
  • New log entries
  • Added trapdoors
  • Added new crafting station
  • Added brews
  • Added new food item
  • Added new status effects
  • Lots of bugfixes
10 Likes

Nice! I will try this soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I previously planned to feature multiplayer in the next release of Planet Escape, I decided to work more on finishing the singleplayer campaign after the delays to the Pokitto+ release.

This release, v0.7.0, finally contains the ending! The game is now mostly feature-complete, with full progression from start to end.

This new version includes:

• The ending!
  • A new boss
  • A new crafting station and items
  • Boss healthbars
  • New player healthbar graphics
  • A new font
  • A new log entry
  • Optimizations and bugfixes
9 Likes

I hadnā€™t played this since getting my Pokitto, but clearly I didnā€™t give it the time it deserves. I loaded the latest update, and I have to say Iā€™m really hooked! Iā€™ve played a ton of Terraria, and this definitely scratches that itch really well. This is now my favorite game, and will hands-down be the one Iā€™ve played most on Pokitto. Really awesome work!

Unfortunately, I think Iā€™ve hit a softlockā€¦

Possible spoilers

I got to the first boss in the underground spaceship. In my first fight, I died. On the second fight, I got farther, but died again. So I got better gear, brewed up health potions, and was feeling more confident that I would win. But when I went for my third attempt, it just wasnā€™t there. Itā€™s little panel in the middle of the room is just missing. And from what I can tell, I think I need to defeat it to continue with the tech tree? Is there a way to respawn it?

Edit: I restarted my game file - it was actually pretty quick to catch up after I knew what I was doing. And then I beat the game! Or rather, version 0.7 :wink: . Super fun stuff!

5 Likes

Thanks for playing the game! Iā€™m really glad you enjoyed it. Terrariaā€™s progression was a big inspiration, although that game benefits a lot from having a ton of content. Planet Escape is actually starting to run up against the maximum bin size for the Pokitto, so I canā€™t add much more content. I have ideas for expanding the game further, but if I ever do that, it might have to be on a future platform. There are still a few quality-of-life changes I would like to fit in, and Iā€™m still hoping to eventually finish the multiplayer.

Do you have any details about what you remember from the last fight that you had before the softlock? Iā€™m trying to figure out how it might have happened.

For anyone who gets softlocked in the game in the future, if you send me your save file, or if youā€™re comfortable with a hex editor, I should be able to fix it or guide you through fixing it.

5 Likes