[Game]Planet Escape [wip]

That depends whether you only need exact button presses or whether you also need ‘edge detection’ for your buttons (i.e. detecting the transition rather than the state),
and whether or not you have C++11 access or you need to support C++03 still.

I tried to look but it seems you don’t actually have the source code posted anywhere,
or if you do it’s not linked to in the main post.

#define PROJ_BUTTONS_POLLING_ONLY

2 Likes

Is that documented anywhere?

If not we really need to update the library documentation, I had no clue that was a thing.

Apparently not. :thinking:

I haven’t uploaded the source yet, but I do intend to release the game as open-source. I was waiting until I considered the game mostly complete, and nobody asked for the source before now so I figured there wasn’t much demand.

Thanks, I need to try this soon.

3 Likes

There might not be beyond me.
I spend more time reading game code than I do actually playing the games.

Wanted to drop by and say that this is a really nice little game. Only bug I’m having with the latest release is the game freezes when attempting to save. If using the emulator it segfaults meaning it’s most likely run out of memory when saving. Can’t tell exactly for sure since there’s no code available.

1 Like

Did you try on hardware? Because latest version doesn’t seem to crash on my Pokitto, could be just a problem with the emulator.

1 Like

Yes I tried on hardware. Though I did have problems with the SD card in general, but tried a new card that isn’t having issues and it still freezes on hardware.

EDIT: I found the problem, sort of, it seems like the first time I save (when the “pe_saves” folder does not exist) it freezes but creates the “pe_saves” folder. On subsequent plays it will now save successfully.

3 Likes

New update for Planet Escape! The latest version, v0.4.0, is in the top post. I have added a lot of new features, including:

• Nearly doubled world depth
  • New generated underground areas
  • New enemies
  • Enemy item drops used for crafting
  • A ranged weapon
  • New gear
  • New tiles, including working doors
  • Another crop to grow
  • Quality of life improvements and bugfixes

I think I fixed the bug @tuxinator2009 encountered. If anyone still encounters this bug please let me know.

This version’s world data is also incompatible with the previous version’s, so you will need to create a new world. Also, to increase the world’s depth I had to swap out the world contents, which means you will have a forced autosave if you go deep enough, and whenever you cross the boundary between the upper area of the world and lower area. You will notice the transition between the areas by a tiny pause as the game swaps the world data.

6 Likes

I can’t wait to get home and try the new version. This game is so much fun.

Can’t wait to build a functional house now and be safe from all the meanies.

No objections there. Lose all previous save data, but gain so many awesome new features and an even bigger world to get lost in. Sounds like a win to me.

3 Likes

Awesome!! Now if only an endgame was possible :wink: this game is really one that I am looking forward to.

2 Likes

@tuxinator2009, @Vampirics, I’m glad you’re still excited for new updates! This isn’t the update I originally intended to release next. I had been trying to add online co-op, but there are so many details I will need to address that I got burned out on adding that. That was one reason it was so long since the last update.

I got inspired to just try adding some of the other features on my todo list a few weeks ago, and finally finished what I consider to be a decent update now. I would say I still have two more content updates and a multiplayer update before I would consider the game to be at version 1.0. I think there is tons of content that could be added after that point, but by that point I will have finished most of my initial plans for the game.

Plans include a boss encounter! Is there anything you’re hoping for in an endgame?

2 Likes

I was expecting space ship part to find to fly back home?

And and it would be nice to have a way to get rid of items we don’t want anymore.

2 Likes

That’s in the plans too! What better reward for beating the boss than that? I want to keep the details a surprise though.

I’ll try to add something to do this soon. As I have added more items, your inventory fills faster and faster, so I get that I need a way to clear out your inventory. I have just been worried about a player getting stuck because they threw away a rare resource that they may not be able to get again.

As long as it isn’t an easy shortcut to use (like Terraria’s shift+click to move items between an open chest and your inventory, but if no chest is open it sends the item to the trash) then I don’t think it would be a problem. Perhaps some kind of incinerator that acts like a chest that you deposit items into and then activate it somehow (like a button you click on its interface) that incinerates any items placed in it (just don’t accidentally incinerate your weighted companion cube).

3 Likes

Oh pish! Let them learn!

5 Likes

Playing it again and it was saving fine, but one time it froze and corrupted the world data. I’m not sure if its something to do with my SD card though and without having access to the source code unfortunately I can’t help troubleshoot it.

Is anyone else having it freeze when saving after playing for a bit?

Could you upload the corrupted world files if there are any? It would be in the pe_saves directory on the SD card.

I have added a minor update in the first post, v0.4.1. This should fix a couple things:

• Fixed rare respawn bug
  • Improved error handling when saving, now re-initialize SD card on error
  • Removed some debug text

Let me know if your Pokitto still freezes when trying to save. If there is an error, the menu should display “SAVE ERROR” if something went wrong and it should no longer freeze. If it fails to save the first time you try, try to save again.

I’m using the SDFileSystem library for saving and loading, and it turns out if anything happens to the SD card, including removing it and immediately re-inserting it, the library goes into an error state. I found that if you call the unmount() and mount() functions to try to remount the SD card it will work again.

This change allows for you to accidentally eject the SD card and still save after re-inserting it. Now you can even safely try to save without the card inserted. This will give an error, but you can still save if you put it back. I still wouldn’t suggest removing the card while it’s saving, of course.

Please let me know if you encounter any more freezing! I think it should not freeze at all anymore when saving, so a new freeze would be serious.

5 Likes