[Game]Dark Trails [V1.1]

ezgif-7-4fbb3524e46c

DarkTrails_Banner

Dark Trails

Graphics    @vampirics
Code          @filmote

Source        Source Code
ZIP              Zip File

Move between the floor tiles to turn on all of the torches. But be careful though as some floor tiles will fall when crossed preventing you from back-tracking! On some levels you will encounter shadow enemies who will either move with you in lockstep or actively try to block your movements.

This is a conversion of our Arduboy game with an enhanced theme and graphics which in turn was a remake of Wan Sou’s little Nokia game. We started talking about doing this conversion only a week and a half ago and told ourselves that it would be a ‘quick and dirty’ effort. Thanks to @Vampirics, the quick and dirty effort looks better than I could ever imagine!

Installation Instructions

This game consists of a POP file and supporting sound assets packaged in a .zip file. Please expand the contents into a directory on you computer - you will see a POP file and a sub-directory called music. Please ensure both the .POP file and folder are copied to the root directory of your SD card.

Depending on what other games are installed on your Pokitto, you may already have a sub-directory called /music on your machine. If prompted, simply merge the contents of the Dark Trails directory with the folder already on your machine. The names of the file are unique and should not clash!

14 Likes

This game is so great! I love it :smiley: I haven’t gotten too far yet I think because I keep trying to get 3 stars for every area xD

Hey thanks for the feedback. It is a simple puzzle game with only 30 levels but plenty of scope for others to design levels if they want to contribute.

@vampirics and I have discussed a second mode (with an opoonent) that could really make it interesting!

2 Likes

Ah I knew this felt familiar! I played this pico-8 game a lot which has a similar play in it. Including a “mirror” character :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can honestly say I have never seen that Pico-8 game. We paid tribute to / ripped of a game made for the Nokia phone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

So it is a demake (of a Nokia game). I knew it!

1 Like

Demake! Submit for the jam :D!

Here is a link to the original - Buttons Trail by WanSou

As you can see it is already being hosted on itch.io so I am not keen to post it there.

And just by definition its not a demake…

A demake is a video game remake on an older platform , or one which converts the game to an older graphical or gameplay style.

In this case it’s a videogame made on a newer platform. Totally the other way around.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, it could also qualify under “cute” and not “demake,” since it is either/or. The main character already has those cute bunny ears. Turn the in-game cursor into a heart, and boom, cuteness overload :wink:

2 Likes

LOL … I am sure @Vampirics will not be happy that you described the protagonists devil horns as ‘cute bunny ears’ :rofl:

4 Likes

I’d dispute that definition.

A demake doesn’t have to be on an older platform, it merely has to be more technically restricted than the original or intentionally made to resemble an older/retro style.

TV Trope’s definition is a much better one than Wiktionary’s:

While a remake strives to offer an updated version of the game, both from a technical and a gameplay standpoint, a demake is purposefully built as an interpretation of how the game may have been, were it conceived and produced during a previous hardware or software generation. This means simpler graphics and sound, and simplified gameplay although the basics are mostly kept, often translated from 3D to 2D.

Note especially:

some even program the demakes on the original old hardware

Implying that’s the rare case, not the common one.

Either way, Dark Trails still isn’t a demake simply because it’s got better, more complex graphics than Buttons Trail.

1 Like

Supposing “Buttons Trail” is not a demake itself :wink:

2 Likes

It reminds me of this: [Game]Sensitive
and C64 Longplay - Sensitive (last levels) - YouTube

3 Likes

Version 1.1 Released!

We have updated the game to include 60 levels. We have also introduced shadow enemies who, on certain levels, will either move with you in lockstep or actively try to block your movements.

ButtonsTrail_Pokitto.bin.5

8 Likes

I noticed that there are *.h and *.js files in the music folder in the zip.

Mmmm … that’s not right.

The game looks really good!

Thank you.

I am stuck in the level 16 :slight_smile: A good game! My only complaint is that gfx is so tiny.