[POLL]What was your first game/computer system?

My first system was…

• Computer
  • TV-console
  • Handheld console
  • Mobile phone

0 voters

And it was …

• 8-bit
  • 16-bit
  • 32-bit
  • 64-bit
  • What?

0 voters

And it was made by…

• Acorn
  • Amstrad
  • Atari
  • Commodore
  • Nintendo
  • Sega
  • Sinclair
  • IBM PC clone manufacturer
  • Intellivision
  • Other (please tell below!)

0 voters

3 Likes

My first own system was a pong multi console, don’t know the name or brand anymore but it did have a lightgun

1 Like

My first system was a Commodore 64 in the late 80’s or early 90’s, can’t quite remember any more, I was around 10 or so though. My earliest coding experience was probably copying the bouncing ball routine from the manual, followed closely by the hot air balloon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My first personal device that I bought for myself was the Nintendo Gameboy Advance and the game Robotech Macross Saga.

The first one I used ever was a Nintendo NES.

3 Likes

First computer was a Polymorphic Systems Poly 88 kit, which I purchased and built in 1977.

I added:

I still have it all.

4 Likes

Technically the first system I ever actually owned was a GBA, (which I think was a birthday present,)
but it wasn’t the first console that I’d ever used, nor the first computer.

(I suspect @torbuntu gave the same poll answers as I did. :P)

2 Likes

Sounds like we have very similar experience in starting platforms :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve never had chance to play on a real NES though. (Unfortunately.)

My cousins had a PS1 and Game Boys that I was allowed to use when visiting them,
but I’ve never had chance to play on anything earlier than that.

I think my local Game shop had a NES available for a while,
which I remember wanting to buy, but that was a long time ago.

Personally I still think the GBA was one of the best handhelds ever made.
The shape, the shoulder triggers, link cable capability, a hardware volume control.
I’d love to develop homebrew for one someday.

2 Likes

GBA was, until Pokitto, my all time favourite handheld :slight_smile: I even based my fantasy console game system on GBA specs like the sprite draws and screen resolution.
The backwards compatibility made it a huge win for me as well since I had a handful of games from GBC I loved to play (Zelda, MegaMan, Mario, the usuals). We also now have the GameCube with the GB player addon so we can play those games on the TV :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Atari 800XE (the modern looking version of the XL) :stuck_out_tongue: at 7 year old

1 Like

I still have some gba consoles and two consoles to play gba games on my tv.
The very first game i did play on a computer was a „guess a number game“, there was no real keyboard and no monitor, it worked with punch cards :laughing:

3 Likes

For me it was the good old Commodore Vic-20 !

4 Likes

My first computer game, as far as I remember, was The Time Warp of Dr. Brain" lol, but I did mostly play games on Nintendo until I was a little older. I got really hooked on rts games (starcraft, star wars galactic battlegrounds, age of empires etc…)

Sim games were hugely popular in my house too. Spent probably full years of my life playing sim city games.

2 Likes

64-bit is getting no love here. Nobody started on the Jaguar!

1 Like

I couldn’t afford a jaguar and after bad experiences with lynx i didn’t want to try either.
But the jaguar had great games

1 Like

The first computer was Vic-20, and the first games I remember were Frogger, Sea Wolf and Exterminator on Vic-20.

4 Likes

First games for me were, Omega Race, Thrash-Man, Jupiter Lander.

4 Likes

Not sure if these can even be called 8-bit systems. Afaik some of them ran without a cpu just using logic chips

2 Likes

Ummm… what about this? :thinking:

https://www.handheldmuseum.com/Bandai/HelloKitty.htm

3 Likes

Ah… Oh…

Sorry. Discourse does not allow modifying polls. I guess thats a handheld, no idea of bitness