[POLL]What was your first game/computer system?

My first system was a Sharp MZ-800 with tape&quick disk drives. The games had quite a lot of gaps for a kid’s imagination to fill :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I forgot MSX!!! Inexcusable.

It’s called Hello Kitty ドキドキ動物園 (dokidoki dobutsuen),
which means (roughly) Hello Kitty heart-pounding zoo.
(‘Dokidoki’ is an onomatopoeia for the sound of a heart beating frantically,
which usually implies excitement.)

I’ve discovered that it’s from 1989 and requires LR44 batteries,
but I can’t find anything about the CPU spec.

If I were a betting man I’d say it’s probably a MOS 6502 (8-bit) because those have always been quite popular and I’m pretty sure the earlier Tamagotchis used those.

For any other Nipponophiles...

The word for zoo (動物園 - dobutsuen) is comprised of:

• 動物 - dobutsu - animal
  • 園 - kono/en - garden, orchard, park, plantation

(Note: ‘zoo’ in English is actually short for ‘zoological garden’.)

And the word for animal (動物 - dobutsu) is comprised of:

• 動 - dou - movement, change
  • 物 - mono/mon - thing, object, quality, ‘cause of …’, ‘item classified as …’
3 Likes

And me, then a C64 then an Apple ][ … all 6502 / 6510 processors!

4 Likes

I started with an Atari, but the Jaquar was AMAZING!!!
First question my friends always asked was, “Can I order pizza with it?”

Growing up my in the early 90’s my dad had an Atari ST, an Atari 2600, and an NES. First game development experience was with an old educational software (shareware version, since full version was like $800) that was similar to Game Maker, but I can’t remember the name of it. Then moved to RPG Maker 2003 before learning C. First game was TuxBlocks with very terrible 15K lines of spaghetti code (goto was used extensively and in all the wrong ways :shushing_face:), but eventually learned C++ and re-wrote it in 3 hours using only 3K lines of ok code. Been experimenting with game development ever since. Tried doing homebrew NES/GBC games but lacked the skills needed.

Development wise, I’ve really liked experimenting with gameplay concepts, level editors, and story boarding (have a fair few stories I’d love to use eventually ranging from simple 2D games, to complex AAA level 3D games). I do have some unlisted YouTube videos of one of my prototypes (PM me if you’d like to check it out).

7 Likes

omg, so many memories. Did you have flappy as well ?

2 Likes

Yes!! Probably the best game on the system :slight_smile: spent soo many hours with that!

2 Likes

This could have been me. I had (really, my parents had) an Atari 2600 for a while, but the Commodore 64 was the first thing I couldn’t put down once I got it. Once I started getting the magazine 3-2-1 Contact (I think), I started having BASIC programs to type in every month, which is part of the reason I was so excited to see Pokitto has a 'zine. :smiley:

5 Likes