[Game]Pokitto Grand Prix

I have changed the SFXEditor to use : #define PROJ_AUD_FREQ 8000

I press the right key repeatedly. After the note 60, the pitch goes down.

Edit: Sorry the video was not attached. I must upload it to youtube.
Edit: Now it is ready.

Oh, thatā€™s not the table.

It seems there is a bug somewhere in the SFX editor.

Iā€™m trying this and if you leave only the basic wave (turn off the bending etc.), then for e.g. a square wave noise the pitch starts to go down somewhere at G#7. Canā€™t that really be related to the aliasing? Non-sine waves are made of much higher frequencies than the note, which will create aliasing with such low sampling rate.

No because in the SynthTest everything works as is supposed to.

There is some silly mistake (signed/unsigned or something like that) in the SFX editor. I will fix it

1 Like

Then I have the same mistake in PGP as I cannot get setOSC() to work correctly with 8 kHz sample rate.

1 Like

Ok I will take a look right now

Edit: verified, does same in PokittoSim, so definitely a coding error

Edit2: does same in SynthTest, I may have accidentally screwed something up while I was working on the sample playback support

Edit3: yes indeed. According to the table, note 59 should take 8 steps to cycle. It cycles in 2. Still looking for the reason why

Well color me surprised. It was an aliasing problem.

Damn. I though 32 bits would have been enough for the counter.

I need to rewrite some stuff

2 Likes

@Hanski , its fixed now. You can get the changes from the github repo, and you can try the sfxeditor bins I made

sfxed8k.bin (119.7 KB)
sfxed11k.bin (119.7 KB)
sfxed16k.bin (119.7 KB)
sfxed22k.bin (119.7 KB)

I didnā€™t realize, but the way I was handling mixing was effectively cutting the aliasing frequency to 1/4 ! Now there is a slightly more cpu-intensive version in place.

2 Likes

Works for me also :slight_smile:

You will notice that at 8khz the highest 2 notes still show the behaviour you noted.

But getting rid of that would require rewriting everything to 64 bits

That is not a problem for me.

We have realised that to make this a ā€œrealā€ game, we need much more tracks and textures; at minimum something like four tracks at first and four more to unlock.

If I made it possible to load the textures and the track definition (as text) from SD, would you use it (either for the new textures or the new track file, or both) and contribute the result to this game?
(Of course, this poll is not binding in any way)

• Yes, I would try it
  • Maybe
  • Probably not

0 voters

An example of the track definition text file:

........bcccccccccccccccccce..
........a..................a..
...bccccd..................a..
...a.......................a..
...s.......................a..
...a...........bccce.......a..
...a...........a...a.......a..
...fcccccccccccd...fcccccccd..
1 Like

In the old days, user contributed tracks was one of the most fun features of games like Slicks and Slide

Thatā€™s cool! If this would become a crazy popular thing I might do a visual track editor.
Edit: Or reuse/modify some existing track editor

User maps are a must, Iā€™m counting on that ā€“ again looking back at TrackMania, the creative community is what pushes the fun up multiple levels.

For tools like this I like to just make an HTML file and program it in browser JavaScript ā€“ making GUI is a no-brainer, all the I/O is taken care of, flexible scripting lang, itā€™s OS independent, you have instant debugging tools, can host it onlineā€¦

Or ā€“ and this is my idea of keeping it simple ā€“ just make some visual plain text format to load the map from and let users use their favorite text editor (PokiPad? :-)) to create maps (someone can still wrap this into its own GUI editor later). Like:

name: my awesome map
laps: 3

__S___     _
 /      \___/o \
 |o      ___    |i
 |x   __/x  \__/
 \___/

3 Likes

Yes, HTML&Javascript is a good option for the visual editor.

Initially, I am plannig to define it by something like this. This is very near of how it is defined in the code. Later, I will add other objects to the definition, like: billboard objects, a diagonal track element, 3- and 4-way crossroads, jumpers, boost areas, etc. .

........bcccccccccccccccccce..
........a..................a..
...bccccd..................a..
...s.......................a..
...a...........bccce.......a..
...fcccccccccccd...fcccccccd..

That would be great as the user do not have to hassle with switching the SD card forth and back when small changes are being done.

3 Likes

Currently, in the poll we have 9 people who can potentially make new tracks and/or textures. That is a very good result! I will look into that soon.

Right now I am ā€œcomposingā€ (or stealing) little fanfares and melodies to be used in PGP.

Edit: I am also planning to write an example app of how to use PokittoLib ā€œSound playerā€ API to play tracker music (in Synth_songfuncs.cpp).

6 Likes

Hi,

The new version is available ( v1.0.2). Quite nice features this time :slight_smile:

• The title screen with (a very simple) music!
  • A fanfare on the finish line.
  • The pilots have (very fancy) names now, given by the community.

I am quite happy with the audio quality even at the 8 kHz sample rate. :-). The music in the video was recorded from the main speaker of Pokitto, not any external devices used.

The latest binaries are attached to the top post of this thread:

6 Likes

Hanski, could you tweet that video? I see there are people on the fence about buying. When they see that video, they will be convinced. Thanks!

5 Likes

OMG sound makes everything better. Feels like this:

2 Likes