[Game]Abbaye des morts

Pokitto porting of Locomalito master piece.

dem

In the 13th century, the Cathars, clerics who preached about the poverty of Christ and defended life without material aspirations, were treated as heretics by the Catholic Church and expelled out of the Languedoc region in France. One of them, called Jean Raymond, found an old church in which to hide from crusaders, not knowing that beneath its ruins lay buried an ancient evil.

KEY FEATURES

• Look and feel of a ZX Spectrum game.
  • 23 screens to explore.
  • Riddles and hints to find items.
  • Around 30 minutes of game length (once fully mastered, or better if fully mastered).

CREDITS

Original GPL code by David Lara
ported with passion by

@HomineLudens
@FManga
@drummyfish
@jonne

THE GAME (Because we want to play!)

High color Pop file courtesy of @bl_ackrain L’Abbaye des morts.pop (546.8 KB)

Or classic bin file, both contained in this zip: abbaye.zip (566.9 KB)

Just extract to your sd card.

You should end with this structure:

High colors: abbaye.bin

Low colors: abbayelc.bin

SOURCE CODE (Because we want to hack!)

Enjoy!

15 Likes

Yay! Well done guys!!!

5 Likes

Finally! :smiley:

2 Likes

I hope people make some videos

Warning. This game is oldskool. It is hard

1 Like

it’s very hard, it slam your face as solid rock.
The way that even hacking to make Jean invincible… still take exercise to finish.

2 Likes

It’s nintendo hard.
I only managed to get past the first three spider group one time before giving up, its a really beautiful looking game too bad it’s so hard. :disappointed:

1 Like

Totally has a classic difficulty missed in most modern games. Absolutely obsessed :smile:

Now to read through the source like I know what I’m doing haha.

1 Like

It’s like spicy food. Got a good kick in it. Mouth burning … gotta have some more!

3 Likes

Really nice :+1:

The best game for Pokitto! I really like the graphics and the sounds :slight_smile:

Btw. Care to make pop-binaries also?

3 Likes

Good luck with that :smile: The original code has been written in a super untidy way, I wouldn’t recommend studying it too much.

2 Likes

Let’s just say it was written in a way that makes it harder for players to cheat by examining the code.

2 Likes

Abbaye des Morts.pop (507.6 KB)

1 Like

This is never a good idea. If you want to cheat, you simply can, without hurting anyone else because it’s not multiplayer, and even without the source code or coding abilities (just watch playthrough videos). Obfuscating code can also clash with the license requirements. So dear programmers, please if you’re reading this, never do this, it only brings so many headaches.

1 Like

We had to work in four, @Hanski to make something that can stand in the top like Pokitto Grand Prix.
And BTW Mars Attack! is still the preferred game by my daughter.

2 Likes

I agree. I don’t think it was done that way itentionally, but it is harder.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s hard to tell when someone is intentionally obfuscating code and when they genuinely don’t know any better.

A lot of the time the answer to the question “why are you writing your code in this ugly/cryptic way, and not in this more readable way” the answer is either “I didn’t know you could do that” or “I didn’t think to write it that way instead”.

(Of course, if they genuinely want to obfuscate it, there are symbol manglers designed to do that better than a human could. Or just don’t provide source code in the first place. :P)

Agree, if you want to obfuscate, this isn’t even how you do it.

Have you seen that programmer who wrote a regular big game without knowing about loops?

1 Like

You make my day :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Well that puts things into perspective. Our code’s fine!

1 Like