The *ultimate* game controller PEX hat

The first test print was almost successful. Only the shoulder buttons still need some more tweaking to properly fit the electronics.

Pokitto is attached on the top with lego pins.

Picture of an earlier prototype and electronics that are now inside the 3D printed gamepad.

12 Likes

Wow. That is awesome

1 Like

…but how well does it work?

1 Like

Does anyone know how easy it is to paint the 3d printed object (depends on the material used of course)? I mean the color selection for 3d printing is probably quite limited, so the controller could be painted to get the needed color tone.

1 Like

I think it works pretty well. The mini-joystick is the same as in the Joystick n’ Rumble Hat, buttons are typical clicky type. I’d like to try the non-clicky buttons, but don’t have any old gamepads laying around.

I looked at the issue I had with the shoulder buttons and it seems that I just need to rotate the switch component 90 degrees on the circuit board and they will fit perfectly.

2 Likes

I have been testing the prototype of the controller :grinning:

For that I converted Galaxy Fighter to use it. It also rumbles when a bullet hits.

5 Likes

I want one!

4 Likes

Making it more and more obvious that I should just fold and make the purchase of a 3D printer haha.

Finally the version 1.0.0 of the game controller is now ready for action.

For those who might be interested in building one themselves, below is the wiring diagram and zipped .stl files for 3D-printing.

pokitto_game_controller-1.0.0.zip (172.9 KB)

6 Likes

You should consider adding mounts for an internal I²C gyroscope/accelerometer module and wiring it to the PEX I2C_SDA and I2C_SCL pins. Maybe wire the module’s INT pin to an interrupt capable PEX pin, as well.

1 Like

that’s amazing!

could you add a pic with the pokitto mounted on it please?

that makes a lot of new inputs + the ones still present on the pokitto itself which can still be used (e.g. the dpad used for target selection)

2 Likes

I also like the color choices. The two color body makes it to look thin and stylish.

2 Likes

@MLXXXp: That is a good idea. I’ll keep that in mind when I next time order new parts.

@carbonacat: Here is the controller with Pokitto:

9 Likes

Love the wrist strap. We need more Pokitto photos I think :smile:

1 Like

Looks fabulous! I like the new 3d printed PEX connector socket as you can now aim the socket without need to watch closely. Maybe also orange could have been a suitable color for the socket (?).
I also like matching backside colors of Pokitto and the controller.

1 Like

I definitely want one now haha all of these extra inputs would be so useful for ARIAT and other games

I’ll try to find a 3D printer around my place

Finally got the final version of my long-time order from @jpfli :smiley:

Super happy about it. Looks and feels really good!

Also spare white buttons are included :+1:

4 Likes

So jealous right now. Would love to get one of those some day, but not really an option right now.

3 Likes

same haha.

If there are enough person having these controllers, it’d be cool to make and share games for them.
The interesting thing is that we can also repurpose them quite easily too

3 Likes

Would it be a good idea to ask @jpfli if he can make a batch of these controllers for sale? Or do you rather 3d-print, solder and build the controller by yourself?

1 Like