TAS mode for Javitto (development thread)

That’s a good idea, I’ll try and spin that up and link it here :slight_smile: right now it is all tied together in this game GitHub - Torbuntu/JavittoTAS_Pokitto: A project in FemtoIDE to make a TASMode in Javitto (moon drop dale deluxe)

1 Like

Got the Pull Request started: Introduce Java Tiles+Sprites Mode by Torbuntu · Pull Request #123 · felipemanga/FemtoIDE · GitHub

It is still in need of some help to tidy up and make it work properly. But it is here now for anyone that would like to try it out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Since I have not worked on this in quite some time I’m going to declare the project abandoned (for now? Maybe forever…)

I put in my good try and effort and learned a great deal and got a lot of amazing support and help. I don’t feel like I have the motivation or energy to keep up with it anymore.

In the meantime I think I’ll continue to learn how to make games in MicoJS as that is quite accessible, easy to setup and get going, and provides an easier way to share games even beyond the scope of Pokitto.

Thanks again for all the help on this TAS Javitto project everyone!

4 Likes

nothing wrong into abandoning something - you tried your best and that’s already great! Motivation is one of the hardest parameter to master unfortunately.
it’s a shame too few people got involved with Javitto in the end

Do you intend to port your javitto games into MicoJS?

2 Likes

Thank you! And I agree, I really was hoping to have Javitto become a more popular tool. I’d definitely return to it (in general, probably not TAS mode) if there is more interest in the future. But right now it feels like I might be the only (active community member anyway) one that admits to using it? lol

My goal is to start from scratch and rethink my entire approach to game dev :slight_smile: So I don’t think I’d do much porting. My goal is to relearn/refresh everything I’ve done so far and try and do smaller scoped games again. Like tiny arcade type things to respark my enjoyment. I keep going out for these larger games to “keep up with the others” when I’m really just not there skill-wise so I get demotivated and just burnt out trying to push myself too much in something I’m not ready for. If that makes sense.

3 Likes

To be honest I think the platform needs more smaller, simpler games. I tried that approach with We Come in Peace which is nearly done, but it led to wanting a better music making suite. I now have a fully functional music studio and just need to wrap up the finishing touches. I also just need to wrap up the finishing touches on We Come in Peace and it’ll be done. From there I also want to explore some class Atari / Arcade games and make faithful clones. I don’t like the idea of remakes because I want to be able to put my own creative spin on them, but I think that’s what you’re trying to go for as well from the sounds of it.

That makes sense to me. And to be fair how many of those larger games have actually been released. Even just chapters 1 and 2 of PtaD are phenomenally larger than just about anything else released imho and it’s barely even scratched the surface of the full game (Chapter 3 alone is looking to be longer than chapters 1 and 2 combined and with far more content).

I almost wonder if we could do a jam specifically focused on the keep it simple stupid principle. Like a
90’s Arcade theme where the goal is to make an arcade game like one you would see in the 90’s (which includes all arcade games made up to about 2000 roughly I would say). Personally if we do something like that then I think the only restriction is the theme as opposed to the specific language used.

2 Likes

Exactly! Everything has to have the personal touches :wink:

Your works inspire me to keep trying and that is also what led me to trying too hard to achieve something above my current experience haha.

I love this community. Always so uplifting here.

1 Like

Well you know that really is the best method for increasing your current experience. However, best to start small and learn little bits at a time.

I think the main problem was trying to work on a rather expansive game idea while also trying to get Javitto TAS mode working. Might have been better for some simple proof-of-concept games that only go as far as to test/demo the core features. Then once you have a more solid foundation you can expand into making a larger game with it.

That has been my favorite thing about this community too.

2 Likes

Relaxing language restrictions would be good but overall I would like to have a clear restricted theme. In the last gamejam there were plethora of theme options and it just made me harder to choose and start coding, which caused problems to get it ready in time. Also a restrictive theme makes you think more and be more inventive around the theme.

3 Likes