Roguelike port?

ok nevermind then i tired asking around for some people
but nobody seems to have time for this
can use the one as is right now
it mostly works

maybe time to turn to that pathfinding for eneties

What do you mean? Will we not use this one?

I can work on it today and see if I can make it work exactly as we want it…

Edit: I used my own thing for displaying tiles tho, so I didn’t implement anything from “void AssignTileType(){”

if you want thats fine
but we kinda need to put focus on the other stuff too or we dont have anything

I think if we don’t have dungeon gen working, we won’t have a roguelike… even more so than weapons and such.

I came up with my own dungeon generation method. Currently Turing it into code. Here’s how it’ll work:

Start with an empty Rooms vector.

1. Create a room, add it to the vector.

2. Pick a random edge of this room to spawn a new room. Set the doorway anywhere along this edge.

3. Create a new room off the edge. If the room would collide with any existing rooms, return to step 2. If there are no available edges with space for a room, go back one room and repeat this rule. Add this room to the vector directly behind it’s parent.

4. Repeat rules 2 and 3 until desired room amount.

5. Calculate the map width and height with the furthest north, south, east, and west rooms.

6. Populate the map with rooms.

1 Like

That would work great, if you can implement it that would be awesome!

1 Like

ok sounds interesting
@VonBednar so lets do the rest of the rogue like, any more items drawn?
also if i could ask how would you graphicaly do the menu system and what functions need to be ontop of on the hotbar so to speek (idk what stuff would be used most comenly)

we got auto atack wen walking into stuff

i was thinking using the item sprites in the inventory window, idk how many inventory slots would you say is enough to have?

1 Like

No graphics yet. I will work on it in an hour or so, by the end of today we will have basic items.

I can also write a quick design doc for the menu system. Basically it boils down to if you stand on top of something, you can interact with it (stand on item - pick it up, stand on lever, turn it etc.). Does that make sense?

Edit: Actually we can just have a menu of commands for the jam, so we don’t have to worry about the content sensitive commands. A-menu, B inventory?

hmm i see
well atm i had the chest as a colidable item and once “hit” it changed in ether mimic or open chest with the note of added gold
could do the same thing with levers
idk maybe i need a popup context menu of open chest? yes/no and turn level yes/no
coins also on auto pick up atm

1 Like

Bumps for chests and auto pickup of gold works for me! I think things like levers would work for that as well.

In the meantime, dungeons start to work!

Edit: I am also pretty sure, this system keeps “room” data, so we can check which room the player is in and solve the field of view this way.

1 Like

oh realy? do say what your changing so we can update the c++ version

I will post my changes in few min, need to grab some food. There are only a few. I would like to implement doors as well, not sure if I will have time tho :confused:

Ba back with the changelog and pico8 source in a few.

doors where already there just did not draw them

You mean in that code I was implementing, or in the code you have?

Because the one I was doing, doors are not implemented…yet (I think the brown tiles were markers for doors).

But, if you have a code for them, then awesome!

yea well anyway the point is we got to convert lua back to cpp XD

Quick correction. The room data doesn’t work room by room, but is a leftover from a division :confused: So it won’t solve field of view. I can try to implement rooms.

The good thing is, all rooms are accessible!

what? you mean vertical openings aren’t 2 high?

All the opennings are 1 tile right now, as seen here. We can make it into 2 without much issue. Let me work on it a little bit, I have markers made so I can implement doors that are 2 high :slight_smile:

yea ok just give the code so we can port for pokitto hardware

Sure!

Sorry for the messy code :stuck_out_tongue: If you have any questions, I will back in 30min or so.

Edit: Quick info on tiles 1-floor, 2-wall, 18 and 34 are markers for horizontal and vertical openings.

Edit2: One of the big changes from the code. Deleted those two, seemed to help with wall opening issues.

mazeData[ room[ii].x + xx/2 , room[ii].y + wy - 1 ] = 2; //setz durchgänge

mazeData[ room[ii].x + wx - 1 , room[ii].y + yy/2 ] = 2;