Pi: 400 computer

Just saw that the rpi foundation put out another device, the pi 400 desktop computer.

Gotta say, every time I think “I’m done buying pi’s” they go and put something out that makes me want it. Haha

6 Likes

Yeah that is a cool little device, I’m hoping that the foundation gets these things in schools in the us and England with a program like the bbc did with the beeb and honestly the 400 could be made into an actual laptop and would be something other than those Internet needed to work chrome books.
My boy has one issues by his school and it’s pathetic 8 g storage and a sd slot but nothing works unless you’re online.

1 Like

When I first heard about chromebooks I was super excited until I learned about the software. That was an instant turn off and I cannot bring myself to consider using such a device now.
But! I don’t have to, since I have a Pinebook Pro

This would be amazing, but unfortunately I don’t quite see it happening in the US. Folks here are pretty sold on iPads or Chromebooks. The Chromebooks win a lot due to the integrated Google classroom and services. But I can not justify the “online” requirement just to use the important pieces of software.
At least with the pi:400 you can use a microSD card with a significantly higher storage than 8BG!

I’m definitely going to be using devices more like the pi or pinebook for my children’s education.

2 Likes

Agreed, I try to teach mine with the real computers around the house like my Mac, the windows laptop and the pi. He has that chrome book from school but like you said Internet required.

1 Like

bought my Pi400 with the intent of makiong a retropie old home computer system, loaded with games and software from the Amiga, C64, Atari ST and 8 bits, Amstrad CPC, and things like that.

1 Like

I’m still needing to get FemtoIDE running on aarch64 for my pi: 400 and Pinebook Pro :sweat_smile:

How do you like it so far? I like the feel of the keyboard. It is a lot sturdier than I expected.

love mine, small, portable, I have it on a small table with a small tv for a monitor

2 Likes

Do you run Raspbian OS on it? Or something else?

well right now im running Pimiga 1.5, (Amiga emulation package), I also have the RISC system on another SD. eventually im making a Retropie/Raspian boot with all old computer systems on it

1 Like

Instead of a pi, I acquired an old vic20 and made a VicBerry20 out of it.

When I’m not using it it hangs on the wall below my copy of the fallen Madonna with the big (lady front bits) by van klumpfh

7 Likes

I think it’s actually supposed to be “van Klomp” - Klomp is the Dutch word for clogs.

Probably, I just presumed it was over spelt in an odd sorta phonetic way.

Klomp, klomp, klomp … I wonder where they got the name from?

2 Likes

Oddly, it might actually be the other way around.
Before the word ‘klomp’ was applied to shoes it simply meant ‘lump’ or ‘clod’ (having the same origin as the English ‘clump’), and it seems the shoes might have been named after that rather than the sound they made.

1 Like