Nicole, do you want me to put your reviews here?

@Zockeromi, do you want me to copy the email you sen me here?

1 Like

Sure why not, transparency is always good. And if my opinion differs greatly from others we can see why.

1 Like

from Nicole

This was not easy at all, but here is my opinion on all game entries. I did play all games for about an hour and read through the devlogs and itch pages loosely. I wasnĀ“t sure about license/open source criteria sometimes though:

First places with both getting 24 points: Joe and Steam Driller:

Game judging criteria steam driller

CRITERIA 1: Gameplay mechanics (max 3 pts)
Gameplay is the core play loop. Is it fun? Are the controls intuitive?

3 points - extremely polished and addictive core gameplay mechanism Although I couldnĀ“t figure out all the details at first (a manual helps), the gameplay is great. ItĀ“s fun and the controls work good (except for jumping in small areas, but this is a general level design decision)

CRITERIA 2: Play time (max 3 pts)
Does the game have replay value or long story? Will you want to pick it up again and again? Will it keep you entertained for hours?

3 points - epic playtime, endless fun You can play it for a relatively long time, to unlock everything and get the most out of the game.

CRITERIA 3: Presentation (max 3 pts)
Presentation is all about the shiny package. Do the graphics jump off the screen? Do they evoke nostalgia? Are the sound effects ear candy?

3 points - both graphics and sounds are excellent CanĀ“t do it much better. Outstanding graphics, cool light effects, good animation, nice sound (cracking sound a bit too loud for my licking, but that could only be me), music is great, but if you hear it for a long play time it is a bit repetitive

CRITERIA 4: Story (max 3 pts)
A good story can sometimes sell itself. Is the story in the game compelling? Is it interesting?

3 points - gripping story, have to know what happens in the end! Fantastic: You just want to ā€œdig deepā€ into all the details the story may hold. You need some luck to find the proper way though

CRITERIA 5: ā€˜Punkā€™ theme (max 3 pts)
This is a more loose category, since ā€œpunkā€ can be many things: punk rock, cyberpunk, steampunk, bagelpunk, and so on. This is open to judgesā€™ interpretation.

2 points - Itā€™s Punk alright! Yes, it sure is some kind of steampunk setting, but a bit more general science fiction setting for me

CRITERIA 6: Community Involvement (max 3 pts)
Is it open source? Are the assets shared? Is there a dev log? This category is intended to encourage interaction with the community, but open source is not a requirement of this jam.

3 points - 1)Opensource for game code, 2)all game assets graphics, music license allows others to use, 3)dev blog during jam
0 points - None of the above
BONUS POINTS: uses TAS engine (+7 pts)
This jam is encouraging the use of the TAS library included with the Pokitto Library, so using the engine gains a free 7 points.
TAS = ā€œTiles And Spritesā€, a special mode, where all graphics is drawn using only graphic tiles and sprites on top of those tiles. This is similar to how graphics was drawn on 8-bit Nintendo systems.
NOTE: to get the 7 extra points you MUST also have open source, so we see how you used TAS mode to make the game!!! Total: 24 pts

Game judging criteria JOE

3 points - extremely polished and addictive core gameplay mechanism Game is a lot of fun. The color change idea might not be new, but it does work great here. The controls work fine and there is always something new to keep you interested.
Does the game have replay value or long story? Will you want to pick it up again and again? Will it keep you entertained for hours?
2 points - very good playtime, good for hours of entertainment It is a lot of fun for the first playthrough, you wouldnĀ“t probably play it more than once though
Presentation is all about the shiny package. Do the graphics jump off the screen? Do they evoke nostalgia? Are the sound effects ear candy?
3 points - both graphics and sounds are excellent It looks fantastic this goes for the characters as well as for the whole art style. Allthough the backgrounds are simple they are beautifully designed, the title screen alone is so very interesting, you instantly want more. The sound is nice with some good effects adding a lot to the atmosphere.
A good story can sometimes sell itself. Is the story in the game compelling? Is it interesting?
3 points - gripping story, have to know what happens in the end! You definitely want to know the whole story when you play ā€“ keeps you hooked.
This is a more loose category, since ā€œpunkā€ can be many things: punk rock, cyberpunk, steampunk, bagelpunk, and so on. This is open to judgesā€™ interpretation.
3 points - YEAH !! Its *#% PUNK! It ROCKS! For me this game has the most punk appeal of all entries, a lot of times I thought, yes, thatĀ“s itā€¦
Is it open source? Are the assets shared? Is there a dev log? This category is intended to encourage interaction with the community, but open source is not a requirement of this jam.
3 points - 1)Opensource for game code, 2)all game assets graphics, music license allows others to use, 3)dev blog during jam
This jam is encouraging the use of the TAS library included with the Pokitto Library, so using the engine gains a free 7 points.
TAS = ā€œTiles And Spritesā€, a special mode, where all graphics is drawn using only graphic tiles and sprites on top of those tiles. This is similar to how graphics was drawn on 8-bit Nintendo systems.
NOTE: to get the 7 extra points you MUST also have open source, so we see how you used TAS mode to make the game!!! Total: 24 pts

Very(!) close on third place: Nanophage with 23 pts.

Game judging criteria Nanophage
3 points - extremely polished and addictive core gameplay mechanism Very interesting, challenging, a lot of different elements, spot on controls
2 points - very good playtime, good for hours of entertainment Very hard decision. As the puzzles are always new, if you play again, there is a certain kind of replay value, besides the story is deep enough to get you hooked for some time, On the other hand there are two main elements, that repeat of course, so you probably want to play it once and from time to time return to the game
3 points - both graphics and sounds are excellent Great graphics, very good and intuitive use of screen, menu, different situations, very cute character design ā€“ I love it
3 points - gripping story, have to know what happens in the end! clearly a story you want to follow with twists and turns
2 points - Itā€™s Punk alright! Yes, somehow like shadowrun, maybe the main character could look more like this, but clearly punk
2 points - 1)Opensource game code, 2)game assets licensed for others to use and/or dev blog during jam
1 points - One of the above criteria (1,2 or 3)
0 points - None of the above
NOTE: to get the 7 extra points you MUST also have open source, so we see how you used TAS mode to make the game!!! Total: 23

On the fourth place Pandemic (17 pts):

Game judging criteria Pandemic
2 points - very good core gameplay The game is very easy to pick up, the controls work perfectly, you have always a goal and proceeding is fun. On the downside it is very repetitive and there is no distraction from the main quest (e.g. unlock new gliders, things to pick up at the destination point, etc.)
2 points - very good playtime, good for hours of entertainment You could play this game endlessly, if you like the main idea and if you want to collect everything, but I donĀ“t think I would do this for hours
1 points - passable graphics and sounds, does not stop from enjoying the game I like the title screen, sounds are good, but in game nothing that really makes me want to see more
1 points - story is so-so, but does not spoil the game the story is allright, nothing special, but the gameplay fits very well
1 points - Itā€™s kinda punk I guess Well, somehow yes, of course, but it could have any other background as well
NOTE: to get the 7 extra points you MUST also have open source, so we see how you used TAS mode to make the game!!! Total: 17 pts

And on the fith place a game that should really be get more work and attention (it could be great, because the core mechanics are working well): Steamrocket Glider with 14 pts.)

Game judging criteria Steam Rocket Glider

2 points - very good core gameplay Yes, it works, yes the controls do what they should, itĀ“s not buggy, but not interesting either, if there would be added things as different planes, backgrounds, collectibles, power ups, etc. this would be addictive as hell for sure
1 points - ok play time, good for at least 15 minutes Yes, seen this before, yes seen it done better before, but also yes, makes somehow fun for a few minutes
1 points - passable graphics and sounds, does not stop from enjoying the game Ok, does look alright, but not special in any way, same goes for the sound
0 points - no story / ruins the game
Story? WhatĀ“s this?
1 points - Itā€™s kinda punk I guess it has steam ā€“ alright, one point
2 points - 1) Opensource game code, 2)game assets licensed for others to use and/or dev blog during jam
I think there wasnĀ“t much of a devlog, or I missed it, think it is open source
NOTE: to get the 7 extra points you MUST also have open source, so we see how you used TAS mode to make the game!!! Total: 14 pts.

5 Likes