[Game]Space Cab [V1.0]

Yep. Totally doable without dying (but you have to concentrate really really hard and resist the urge to land on a customer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

4 Likes

Omg - that is scaring

4 Likes

Just wait till you see my latest contribution to this amazing game :wink:.

4 Likes

Tux has created an online editor for Space Cab which can import and export levels in the native format!

The online editor is much more convenient than the in-game one but as they are compatible, you can do the bulk of your design on the computer before transferring it to the Pokitto where you can play test the level and fine tune it on the device.

Find it here > https://tuxinator2009.github.io/SpaceCab_Pokitto/export/editor.html

9 Likes

That is so awesome! Thanks @tuxinator2009!!

2 Likes

This is community help at its best :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is precisely why I like the idea of standardising data formats/protocols and letting people build their own tools.

3 Likes

Here’s a quick level i made at work

Small Town

Small_Town.raw (843 Bytes)

Really fun and easy to use level editor!

5 Likes

How can I add a custom made level to the Femto emulator? How is the SD card emulation supposed to work (in Linux)?

I’ve noticed that it uses SDFileSystem which doesn’t seem to have SIM code so it’ll need to be run in the emulator. With that in mind simply put the file in the music/SPCAB_IMPORT folder and do a build->run and it’ll import it each time it’s run (since there’s no saving with the EMU).

Although I like the idea of a standard data format, each game obviously has its own quirks and data formats that make creating ‘generic’ tools difficult. Small systems like the Arduboy or Pokitto compound the problem due to resource issues forcing further data compression or other tricks. All of these can be addressed in an editor if its is architected in in a way that allows behaviours to be overridden easily.

I think @tuxinator2009 has done a great job of this and I hope it encourages people to make a few new levels.

And here is a tribute level that is already in the game:

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 10.01.03 am

6 Likes

A call for levels!

I am planning on creating a new version of the BIN / POP file to incorporate a few changes and will include any complete levels people would like to contribute. @Vampirics and I reserve the right to drop levels that are not up to scratch so please have a think about good levels that are hard enough to appear after the existing ones. But not too hard they are unplayable!

5 Likes

‘Standard’ and ‘generic’ are two entirely separate (though perhaps easily confused) concepts.

Standardised just means the rules are well-defined by an authoratative source,
that doesn’t imply that they are suitable to everyone’s needs.

Electrical plugs & sockets are a good example of something that’s standardised but not generic - globally there’s over a dozen different plug & socket types in active use, most of which are completely incompatible but effectively they all do the same job and generally they all do it well.

I think such an editor would have to support a scripting language to manage that effectively.

Though another possibility might be to have a generic format which can then be converted into something more specific by a post-processing step. That would only work for a certain class of games though, e.g. games with tile-based worlds and certain constraints.

1 Like

Might be a good idea to include a link to the editor in the top post so its easy to find.

3 Likes

Here’s a simple, but large, level that’s not too difficult:
Name: PokittoLand
PokittoLan.raw (1.8 KB)

6 Likes

Yikes! I was going to make a very easy level next :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing to look out for with big grpahics like the Pokitto is that when playing the game you are unlikely to work out what the graphic is as you can only see a small part of it. Likewise, big expanses of nothing can be a little frustrating for the players …

1 Like

Thanks to our friend Retr0Rob for another great review!

4 Likes