[Game]Space Cab [V1.0]

Yes, but it looks to be closed. I was expecting it to open after some points limit.

2 Likes

@Hanski Try picking up a customer and go to the editor door…

3 Likes

I was laughing so hard last night playing this that I woke up my baby :eyes: but every time a customer goes “Ouch!” I feel so awful, but it is so funny :grimacing:

I really need to get better at this. It is so much fun!

4 Likes

Really enjoying this masterpiece. Editor needs a way to easily play test moving the cab around the level. Need to make sure the level can be properly navigated without being too easy.

1 Like

Well you can quickly save and play the level… Or at least i thought it was fast enough to get there :thinking:

It’s taking a bit to familiarize with the layout and controls of the editor.

Also noticed that for the gate time anything below 100 is non-functional (as in the gate closes almost immediately after hitting the lever).

The principle behind the level I’m making is that it requires precision control. Land anywhere not close to a sign and there’s spikes. All ceilings are spikes. Spikes have a very small gap between them. Gates are a plenty creating multiple one-way cyclical routes.

After initial experiments with how close things can be while still being playable now I can draw out the overall design on graph paper before placing all the tiles.

EDIT: One possible way to speed up the level creation process is when pressing “C” to open the tile menu you have to scroll all the way to the bottom to select “Player” then “Save” Would it be possible to have it so if you press “right” it will jump to “Player” and pressing “right” again would select “Save” that would make it faster then going through all the tiles. For navigating the tiles maybe have a repeat delay for the button presses (sticks in my mind 100ms interval with a 300ms delay is a good value for interfaces). Basically when a button is held it registers a button press immediately then after the initial delay (300ms) it “presses” the button again at each interval (100ms).

EDIT again: Never mind the tile selector does have a repeat delay setup I just wasn’t holding it down long enough. Still might be good to have the “right” button jump to select “player”

It already has that.

This is possible but suspect it will not save much time as you really only go to 'player ’ once or twice in a dev cycle.

Edit: I see you found the repeat function!

1 Like

@filmote an option could be to make the editor menu wrap-around? So basically pressing up from the top would go directly to save and pressing down while on ‘save’ would put you at the top of the tiles…

A wrap around might actually be just right. Could also be useful for the level select menu. There aren’t too many levels right now but hopefully there’ll be a good amount of user submitted levels over time.

Just noticed that my 60x60 level isn’t actually 60x60. There’s some space on the far right and bottom that has a blue background and I can’t place tiles there. When I do they don’t appear but then when I try and play the level it crashes.

SpaceCab.bin (160.2 KB)

This adds the ‘wrap around’ function.

I will need to look at the 60x60 issue separately.

1 Like

Here’s a simple example of the issue. You can see that the rocks have been placed at the bottom corner of the black region and I’ve placed a few rock tiles extending down from the bottom most corner but they aren’t visible in the editor. When playing the game in the emulator you can see them but on HW it crashes.
SpaceCab_Pokitto.bin.2
SpaceCab_Pokitto.bin.1

Version V1.0.1 released with editor fixes.

1 Like

Latest version the B button is causing the landing gear to rapidly toggle on and off making landing exceptionally difficult.

1 Like

This is my “Maze” level. Put it in the “\Music\SPCAB_IMPORT” folder in your SD card and enjoy :slight_smile:
Maze.raw (347 Bytes)

5 Likes

Rather nice, challenging, level. Hadn’t thought of using the spikes one on top of the other like that but it looks really great and can be a fun challenge trying to navigate.

3 Likes

Version V1.0.2 released with a fix to a fix!

Also included is Hanski’s new level!

7 Likes

@tuxinator2009 has developed a great little utility that takes an exported level and renders to make it easier to describe to others.

The link > https://tuxinator2009.github.io/SpaceCab_Pokitto/export/index.html

The results of feeding it levels 1 & 2:

Level_01

Level_02

9 Likes

And here’s my first epic level for Space Cab: ARGHHH___.raw (1.8 KB)
Name: ARGHHH!!!
Size: 60x60
Fuel: 500
Fairs: 10

4 Likes

Did you at least beat it yourself? :wink:

3 Likes