[Game]Button City Pokitto

I select the silent area and use “generate silence”

1 Like

Okay, thanks. It looks like I misunderstood what “Truncate Silence” does, anyways (it clips it out!). I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

Ah, yes, this does work. It would have been bothersome to do it by hand (busy track with lots of spaces between beats), so I just had a script snap values on the range [126,128] to 127. Now in the dead space I just hear the helicopter buzz from the SD card reads every 512 buffer frames… Which to choose, which to choose… Unless you know a waveform that I can add to negate that sound, @jonne (is that even possible :sweat_smile: )?

Edit: actually, I plugged my pokitto into a mic jack and recorded it:

There it is, every 0.064 seconds (512 / 8kHz)… So the question is, could I add the inversion to my audio tracks (or even LibAudio) to cancel out those bumps? Or is it most likely that the particular waveform will be unique to each Pokitto + SD Card combination? Anyone else care to record the sound of silence?

3 Likes

Looks like someone did already!

Best version too :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It’s not that weird when you consider that each unit represented in PCM actually corresponds to quite a large difference in amplitude.

When you said “by hand” I was genuinely hoping you meant using a hex editor to manually edit the file. :P

Just in case it’s not clear why it does what it does…

I suspect you were thinking of the more specific mathematical definition of truncate:

“To shorten (a decimal number) by removing trailing (or leading) digits.”

(This is the meaning from which std::trunc derives.)

The more general (and outside of the fields of maths and computer science, more common) meaning of ‘truncate’ is:

“To shorten (something) by, or as if by, cutting part of it off.”

Which in this case actually means cutting out the silence.

That’s exactly what I do.

2 Likes