FM Synth with USB MIDI support

My USB MIDI experiments gradually evolved into a FM synthesizer. I’m not that familiar with synths in general, so let me know if there is something important missing or things don’t function as expected. Any ideas to improve the synth itself or the UI are welcome. I studied a few online FM synths and videos, and stole some of the most useful features from them, while trying to make the synth simple to use (for a FM synth) and not too computationally heavy. (@laamaa, here is the MIDI synth project I mentioned long time ago in another thread)

In FM synthesis the basic idea is to use one operator (=oscillator + amp envelope) to modulate the frequency of another operator. If the modulating frequency is less than 20 Hz you get vibrato, but in FM synthesis you use frequencies that are 0.5 to over 10 times the frequency of the note that is played. When the modulation frequency increases, the vibrato effect disappears, and completely new waveforms are created. Different instruments and sound effects can be made by tuning the frequency ratios and amplitudes of the modulating operators and varying their amplitudes over time with amplitude envelopes.

Features:

• 4 operators
  • 11 algorithms (=how operators are routed)
  • One master ADSR envelope and for each operator an ADS envelope with loop option
  • (+/-) feedback on operator 4
  • Pitch LFO for vibrato
  • 4 voice polyphony
  • 32 kHz samplerate (44 kHz was too much with 4 voices)
  • USB MIDI input supporting key velocity, pitch bend and sustain
  • Virtual piano keyboard

FMSynth.bin (111.5 KB)
Source code: https://github.com/jpfli/FMSynth

Source code for a version that works also on simulator: FMSynth-sim.zip (120.1 KB)

A MIDI keyboard can be used with the synth, but it can also be used without anything connected to Pokitto. For standalone use there is a virtual piano keyboard, that you can toggle with C button. You can even play simple songs with the virtual keyboard using only two buttons and d-pad. Such as this theremin tune (couldn’t get audio playthrough to work in Audacity, so I had to record without hearing the sound myself):

Here’s another sample with different instruments. In this one I played MIDI tracks on LMMS, which is sending MIDI messages to Pokitto.

How to use the virtual piano keyboard

Details

Controls:

• C - show/hide the keyboard
  • LEFT/RIGHT - select note on the keyboard
  • B - play the selected note
  • A - sustain
  • UP/DOWN - pitch bend

Pressing B at any time plays a note, even when the virtual keyboard is hidden. You can move left or right on the keyboard also while holding B, in which case the note keeps playing until you stop at another key and a new note is triggered. You can use this feature to play instruments that have glide enabled, or alternatively use sustain for that.

USB MIDI connection

Details

For USB MIDI you need to have Pokitto connected to the computer when the synth starts, and press C when asked to enable USB. It should only take a second or two to establish the connection. MIDI channel on the synth defaults to 1 and can be changed from BROWSE view.

To use a MIDI keyboard, connect it to the computer and route MIDI messges from the keyboard to Pokitto.

You can also play MIDI tracks on a music software and configure it to send MIDI messages to Pokitto. Note that MIDI events that happen at the same time are not sent in any particular order, so a note-on message (for next note) might be sent before a note-off (for previous note). Because the synth can only play 4 notes simultaneusly, you might need to manually add small gaps between adjacent notes.

UI explained

Details

The four buttons at lower left and lower right corners are used to switch between different views. Each view has up to four parameters that can be adjusted using the four up and down arrows in the middle.

browse

BROWSE view: Browse the preset patches, export current patch and set MIDI channel. This is the only view you need, if you don’t plan to make own custom instruments. Currently there are only the built-in patches to choose from, but the current patch can be imported and exported as a MIDI SysEx message. In the future, support for loading and saving patches from and to SD card could be added.

PATCH view: Common settings for the patch. On tab 1 you can change the algorithm, master volume, feedback level for operator 4 and glide rate. The chosen algorithm is show at the top. A number with square around it represents an audible carrier operator, filled octagons are modulators, and arrows show how the operators are routed.

Feedback basically lets you morph the operator output waveform between sine and saw (positive fb) or sine and square (negative fb). High feedback level causes the output to turn into noise, which can also be useful. Glide, when enabled, adds a pitch slide from one note to the next if you play a note before releasing the previous one.

Tab 2 is ADSR envelope settings for the entire patch. Attack, decay and release are durations, so higher attack value means slower attack. On tab 3 are settings for the pitch LFO.

levels_freqs

LEVELS and FREQS views: Adjust output levels and frequencies of all operators in one view. Operator frequency can be a ratio of the note beign played or fixed freuency. Fixed/ratio mode can be changed only on the OPERATOR views. Both the ratio and fixed frequency have separate coarse and fine adjustment. Hold down A to change the fine setting.

op

OP1, OP2, OP3 and OP4 views: Detailed settings for each operator. Tab 1 has settings for oscillator level and pitch, and tab 2 has ADS envelope plus loop settings. If loop is enabled, the envelope jumps from decay back to attack stage.

Importing and exporting patches

Details

If you make a custom patch, you might want to save it, so that it won’t disappear when Pokitto is turned off. Or maybe someone has shared an awesome patch and you want to try it. Until a better method is implemented, patches can be transferred as MIDI SysEx messages. To send and receive SysEx messages you need a MIDI monitor program. There are many MIDI monitors for different operating systems, but the instructions below are for amidi on linux.

First to list available MIDI devices:

$ amidi -l
Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:1,0,0  Mbed Audio MIDI 1

To monitor Mbed Audio MIDI 1:

$ amidi -p hw:1,0,0 -d

Then grab your Pokitto and select SEND from FMSynth’s BROWSE view. This outputs the following (in hexadecimal):

F0 7D 53 49 4E 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 50 32 00 00 00 64 32 00 00 00 64 00 01 00 32 00 00 64 00 00 00 01 00 32 00 00 64 00 00 00 01 00 32 00 00 64 00 00 00 01 00 32 00 00 64 00

F0 is a status byte indicating the beginning of a SysEx message and 7D is manufacturer ID for educational and development use. All the rest is simply the contents of FMPatch struct starting with patch name (16 bytes null-terminated string).

To send an exported patch back to the synth:

$ amidi -p hw:1,0,0 -S "F0 7D 53 49 4E 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 50 32 00 00 00 64 32 00 00 00 64 00 01 00 32 00 00 64 00 00 00 01 00 32 00 00 64 00 00 00 01 00 32 00 00 64 00 00 00 01 00 32 00 00 64 00 F7"

Notice the added F7 at the end. This is a status byte that marks the end of a SysEx message.

Online FM Synthesizers

Details

If you are interested in FM synthesis and creating own patches, you might want to also check out these online synths:

http://www.audiosauna.com/studio/
https://www.webaudiomodules.org/wamsynths/webdx7/
https://www.webaudiomodules.org/wamsynths/dexed
https://www.taktech.org/takm/WebFMSynth/

Most of the preset patches I picked from the webdx7 and tried to replicate them on my synth. Conversion is not straightforward, but it helps to have something to compare with.

11 Likes

Oh my gosh this is so awesome! I am definitely going to have to play with this :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow!! This looks really amazing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is really an Amazing project!
Seems like you put a lot of code here, what is pomi graphics library?
This could be a solid brick to build a range of music device from Pokitto.
Drum machine synth anyone?

Thanks all for your compliments!

Pomi is all the graphics, audio, input etc. functions that I wrote when making the Pomifactory game, which was built with Pokitto MiniLib.

This project is built with standard PokittoLib. I just felt more comfortable using my own direct draw functions. None of the pomi stuff is required for the synth itself.

4 Likes

Wow ! Impressive !

1 Like

Download link in the first post updated.

Fixed two bugs: glide was affecting also fixed frequencies and new note replaced the most recent one instead of the oldest, when you had max number of voices (4) playing.

I also added a didgeridoo. Or at least something that resembles a didge. Like the real instrument it only plays one note, but it sounds different depending on what key you press.

4 Likes

I think the range of digeridoo can be “faked” into other sounds than just one tone :wink:
Example:

Yeah, didgeridoo is amazingly versatile instrument considering it is just a hollow cylinder and has no finger-holes. It can even be played in flute style:

But to model all that, I’d have to port my physical modelling synthesis code to Pokitto…

1 Like

ah! This is one of my favorites!! Good find :smiley:

Hi,
I have been testing this somewhat. It is very versatile but what makes it hard is that the theory of FM synth shouĺd be familiar, and that the UI is not always self-explanatory. Here are few suggestions:

• Please make it work on the simulator, if that is not too hard (usually it shouldn’t be). It is so much easier to test on PC.
  • If you make the above, consider making a support for the PC keyboard acting as a synth keyboard and support for shortcut keys to make using the UI easier. That will require a bit tweaking to the PokittoLib itself as normally the simulator do not deliver (via SDL) other that Pokitto keys to the game, but it should be doable.
  • A set of predefined FM sounds would be nice
  • Finally, even a simple tutorial would be very nice. Covering:
    • using the UI,
    • how to make a new sound and
    • how to use that in the code
2 Likes

Yeah, the downside of FM synthesis is that it’s not very intuitive and you can’t just start experimenting with the parameters, and expect to get any reasonable sounding results.

But in my opinion studying FM synthesis theory is waste of time. What I found most useful was various practical tutorials of how to create different musical instruments.

I haven’t been able to get simulator to work with FemtoIDE. Could be something with my OS, I don’t know.

To familiarize yourself with FM synthesizers, you can also try the online synths (links at the end of the first post). They have a proper mouse-driven graphical UI and lots of instruments and sound effects to study.

There already are several built-in sounds. See the BROWSE view. In BANK 1 there are basic waveforms like sine, square, saw and a few other patches. BANK 2 contains real instruments such as piano, guitar, bass, violin, trumpet etc.

The UI is explained in the first post and using sound effects with the FMSynth LibAudio extension is explained in it’s own thread. I don’t know if I can do any better than that. But if there are some specific things there that need clarification, I can try to explain them a bit more comprehensibly.

What OS are you using … a Mac?

Linux, LMDE

Oh … yes cannot help there (probably not even on the Mac :laughing: )

The sim work for in Linux (Zorin). We can try to resolve this with PM.

Sorry, I totally missed these instructions :wink:

The problem was too old g++ version on my LMDE 3. I installed newer LMDE 4 and now the simulator compiles.

In the first post there is now a separate source package of FMSynth, that works also on simulator.

I even added MIDI support using RtMidi, so you can use any MIDI keyboard (real or virtual), just like when running it on Pokitto. RtMidi is a one header and one source file MIDI library that supports Linux (ALSA & JACK), Mac OS X (CoreMIDI & JACK), and Windows (Multimedia Library).

By default RtMidi uses dummy device wich doesn’t do anything, but should compile on all systems without errors. You need to manually add correct compiler flags to enable MIDI support. See http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtmidi/index.html#compiling

MIDI API            CPPFlags            LDFlags
Linux           ALSA                -D__LINUX_ALSA__    -lasound -lpthread
Linux or Mac    JACK                -D__UNIX_JACK__     -ljack
Mac OS X        CoreMIDI            -D__MACOSX_CORE__   -framework CoreMIDI -framework CoreAudio -framework CoreFoundation
Windows         Multimedia Library  -D__WINDOWS_MM__    ??? winmm.lib multithreaded

When FMSynth is running with MIDI enabled, you should see MIDI ports “FMSynth Input” and “FMSynth Output”, like so (USB Device is my MIDI keyboard):

Patch exporting works too, but amidi -l doesn’t show the ports for some reason. If you are using amidi, you can get round this by creating a virtual input port with amidi and connecting it to “FMSynth Output”.

amidi -p virtual -d

Patch importing works as well, but again amidi can’t see the “FMSynth Input” port. With another program called midisnoop, I was able to send the instrument data back to FMSynth.

2 Likes

I got the virtual MIDI keyboard (and PC keyboard) to work with Pokitto Simulator in Linux :slight_smile: Here are the detailed instructions if someone wants to try (I have Ubuntu/Zorin).

1. Unzip the FMSynth zip packet to your “FemtoIDE/projects” folder
  2. Update the [CPPFlags] and [LDFLags] in the project.json as explained in the previous post. Here is my updated project.json:project.json (12.8 KB).
  3. I had it installed but you might need to install “libasound” like this sudo apt-get install libasound (it actually installs libasound2 but it does not matter).
  4. Build the project in FemtoIDE
  5. Install a virtual MIDI keyboard. I used this (VMPK): https://vmpk.sourceforge.io/#Download. You can run the “*.Appimage” packet if you just give the execution permissions to the file. Then the app can be started.
  6. Run the FMSynth in Pokitto simulator (press “C” for the midi support)
  7. Run the VMPK app and select from the menu “Edit / MIDI connections”. Then set the “MIDI in driver” and the “MIDI out driver” as “ALSA”.

Now you can play with the PC keyboard and select the sound from the FMSynth app!

2 Likes