[DEVLOG] Cutielympics, a game jam entry

Nooooooo … maybe you are deploying a cough and need to stay home sick on Thursday?

4 Likes

“Faster, Higher, Cuter!”
or
" Citius, Altius, Furrius"

1 Like

Ordinarily I’d look at a lot of different languages for puns and portmanteaus, but it seems most European languages have very similar words for ‘hamster’ and ‘triathlon’. That’s not surprising for ‘triathlon’ because it’s an old Greek word, but I’m surprised ‘hamster’ doesn’t have more variation.

If you gave your hamster a name then you could name it after the character. E.g. “Hamsteve’s Olypmics”, “Hamsisko’s Olympics”.

Nope, nope, nope. Bad idea.

2 Likes

Nice one.

In Italy we say “criceto” and “criceti” as plural. Very near to the latin word that name the subfamily Cricetinae

I can’t find a good way to merge it with Olympics, maybe Cricethlon, but I don’t like it either.

1 Like

I noticed (the Italian translation was right above the Japanese one),
and I came to exactly the same conclusion as you:
Cricethlon isn’t even worth suggesting, it sounds awful. :P

Hamstathlon’s definitely my favourite contender because it’s terse, easy to say and fairly transligual.

2 Likes

It is funny how many people see the main character as a hamster :slight_smile: Especially the side profile do not look as a hamster to me. I actually made it totally as an imaginary creature.

3 Likes

It looks like a hamster in the same way Mickey Mouse looks like a mouse.
Or the way the hamsters of Hamtaro resemble hamsters.
The pose of the front view in particular reminds me a lot of Hamtaro, but with a slightly different shape and less rounded ears:

image Hamtaro

Perhaps you ought to name your creature?
It might help produce a name for the game itself.

(Just don’t name it a ‘furry’ or you’ll corrupt everyone’s internet search history. :P)

4 Likes

I might rename it to “Cutelympics”.

4 Likes

Devlog #11

I changed my vote to “might just make it in time” because now the schedule seems to be possible :smiley:, but still very tight. I have implemented the menus, the high score tables, instructions and the cookie system. The main missing things are:

• Sounds
  • The tournament mode, where you do events in series and get point from each. The points are then calculated together.
  • The name must be changed. Currently looks like it will be “Cutelympics”.
6 Likes

I too, waited to do these until almost last haha.

I love this! Might I recommend a spelling alternative Cutielympics ? Kind of rolls better in my mouth. But that’s just a suggestion :slight_smile: Cutelympics is great too!

4 Likes

Devlog #12

• Tournament mode implemented :slight_smile: You have 3 tries for each sport and the best result of each sport is converted to points. Then the points are added together for the final result.
  • Started to implement sounds. The crowd is cheering already after a successful event :slight_smile:
  • TODO: A lot of small tweaks and playtesting of which I have time to do only a fraction, but that is the idea of the jam I guess. :grimacing:

I have no other choice than to believe what a native english speaker tells to me :wink: . So that is “Cutielympics”. (Thanks @torbuntu!)

6 Likes

Just because I’m a native speaker doesn’t make me infallible :laughing: It was a great title already, the extra i just helps my brain picture how I’d pronounce it :slight_smile:

Very excited to get the highscore board going for this one :wink:

5 Likes

Devlog #13

Now there is a beta (1) version :slight_smile:
clympic1.bin (192.9 KB)

Edit: Added the file.
Edit 2: Please report any errors or improvements here.

7 Likes

I had so much fun! I love the artwork, and the challenge of improving my score :smiley: Definitely going to try and maintain a high score of this one :wink:

I link now the few screenshots with notes from my playthrough :slight_smile: trying to reduce spoilers :wink:

screenshots

Game froze here (on my 3rd or 4th time through tournament)

Can’t seem to get hurdles to save any score?

This was a weird glitch I saw every now and then :eyes: it goes away, just thought it was interesting glitch art.

1 Like

Oh, that is in the very end of the tournament. Just before the results view.

Yes, I need to fix that.

I need to fix that too.

Thanks for trying the game and giving comments. “In exchange” I will give feedback about your game tomorrow.

3 Likes

Oh it was absolutely my pleasure to play this! Please do not feel any obligation to reciprocate :grin: but I do appreciate it!

1 Like

Devlog #14

A new version, v1.1, released here: Cutielympics by haviital

Changes:

• a LOT of bug fixes
  • Added button help texts and icons, which are visible for 2 seconds
7 Likes

Just tried this out, and I like the presentation. The minigames are fun and simple to play, while requiring good timing to get a high score.

I encountered a weird bug in the hurdles, where if you do really poorly (taking around 30 seconds or more to get to the end), then the game buzzes loudly and becomes unresponsive, but the timer keeps running. I also found that if I jumped right before the finish line I would hover in the air, and all runs after that I could “fly” over the hurdles.

5 Likes

Why did you tell everyone? You could have had the high score in the hurdles, simply because you didn’t need to actually jump :slight_smile:

8 Likes