[DEVLOG] Cutielympics, a game jam entry

Devlog #1

I am going to make a Decathlon or Track and Field demake for the game jam, in python.
track_and_field_03

It can be considered as a demake as I am using a lower resolution, 110x88, as e.g. C64 version. The initial plan is to implement 4 sports: shotput, javelin, long jump and one more. The player is a cute animal or other unidentified creature.

Ps. I am not going to torture Pokitto with some button smashing sports :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

That sounds epic!

3 Likes

Devlog #2

My first attempts to make a cute character :slight_smile: The latter is nearer to the final size in the game.

With a different colors:

With bigger eyes:

Edit: Of course, there should be an eye blinking animation also :grin:

Edit:

9 Likes

Devlog #3

Ready to run!

tetrathlon_run

Small tweaks:
tetrathlon_run5

10 Likes

Omg that’s lovely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Next I will make backgrounds and a scrolling track. At least 3 layers with different scrolling speeds for the pseudo 3d effect.

4 Likes

Devlog #4. Starting to implement scrolling layers

Now I have two layers: “sky” and “track”. I needed to switch from the “TAS lowres” mode to the “normal lowres” mode, because simultaneous tilemaps were not supported in the TAS mode in Python.

7 Likes

This already looks so amazingly cute!! :scream:

3 Likes

Lemon 64 looks good but every time I try to create an account it says my email address is banned.

Devlog #5

I have been away most of the week but now I got some progress with this.

7 Likes

You have the cuteness points nailed down already

4 Likes

Devlog #6

I can almost here people cheering in the stadium! :wink:

tetrathlon_run6

9 Likes

Can you make the audience lift their arms also?

2 Likes

And do little jumps! Hehe. Yeah I’m already seeing this one winning all the cute points. Dang!

2 Likes

Devlog #7

Added the start menu screen, the jump measurement, the gauge and the cheering audience :slight_smile:
tetrathlon_run7

Edit: I think I can move on to the next sport now: javelin

9 Likes

Devlog #8

Started to implement Javelin.

Gosh, it is a hard work to make the rotated versions of the “spear” which look even semi-good! Maybe, I should use anti-aliasing to make it look better, but I have never done that by hand. It is especially challenging with a 16-color palette :wink: so maybe it is good enough as such. I also could have used Gimp rotate function for help, but I thought it would be “funnier” to do it by myself. It wasn’t, but maybe I Iearned something on the way.

If (or when) the ROM runs out I need to truncate the empty space away from the bitmaps, but right now it is easier when they are of the same size.

For selecting the correct rotated image for the flying spear I would need an arctan()-function, but Pokitto MicroPython do not offer trigonometric functions. I have used sine and cosine tables before in MP, but looks like arctan() is a quite different thing and not easy to do.

Anyone know a simple implementation of arctan() for fixed point numbers?

5 Likes

They look really good to me!

I don’t have an arctan function but I think you might be better off with a look up table rather than trying to compute the angles.

I assume you have these all rotated in the other directions? The shadows will make flipping awkward.

3 Likes

Also the last two are interesting … if you threw a javelin at that angle it would not go far!

1 Like

Thanks! I used quite a much of time for those even if they look simple.

You are probably right.

I only need to mirror vertically to get bitmaps for the sencond half of the flight. I do not think the mirrored shading looks necessarily so bad, but lets see.

You can chase UFOs maybe :wink:

2 Likes