America's Cup Sailing

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how incredible new sailboats are?

50+ nautical knots on wind power = (92+ kph)

7 Likes

Wow, it is almost flying over the sea!

These boats have now evolved even further before the race and check out those incredible hulls!!

1 Like

Bellissima. Incredibile (this is team USA)

Ineos UK, another gobsmacking hull design:

3 Likes

That is the biggest evolution that has happened since my last post about this. These boats spend most of their time above the water - therefore they are more airplanes than boats. The new hulls have been designed to minimize air resistance (drag) and to act as a wing that provides lift. The traditional hull of the boat has become a wing … therefore, it is literally flying.

2 Likes

This is some next level science fiction that decided it didn’t want to be fiction anymore. Amazing!

1 Like

How are hydrofoils legal in that race?
I love hydrofoils, and those Soviet planes meant to fly just over the water.

The defendant of the Americas Cup says what kind of boat will be used for the challenge.

It can be anything, as long as it is sailing

1 Like

That is awesome, I’d say a boat had to be either made of concrete and square, or give the dimensions and materials for Noah’s houseboat. Lol

Found a good video describing the technology:

4 Likes

I found another good video that has a little bit more emphasis on the dimensions and the physics involved:

Some info about the teams:

Country Team Name Boat Name
Italy Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli
UK INEOS Team UK Britannia
USA American Magic Patriot

Other facts and info:

The history of the America’s Cup started at the Royal Yacht Squadron in 1851 when fifteen of its boats raced and lost to a US yacht called “America” from where the cup eventually got its name.

The Royal Yacht Squadron is one of the world’s most prestigious yacht clubs and was granted the Royal Ensign by King William IV in 1815.

The Cup – affectionately known as the “Auld Mug” – attracts the world’s top sailors and yacht designers and is the world’s oldest sporting trophy.

This will be the 36th America’s Cup and will take place in 2021.

3 Likes

WARNING

This is a rabbit-hole that you should follow only if you’re prepared to follow it the next 2 months

Vendée Globe 2020 started last Sunday. Its a single-handed, non-stop circumnavigation race around the world (>44000km) along the fastest route i.e. around the Antarctic. It is said to be the hardest sports competition of any kind.

I am following the race several times a day at the moment.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/tracking-map (<- do not press :wink: )

The race is run on IMOCA 60 class, of which the top boats now have the same kind foiling tech as the AC75. Foiling. Single-handed. Arctic. 50+ knot winds, 30-40 knot top speeds.

Alex Thomson, on his 4th try to win the VG. One of the top contenders.

VG2016 in race shots Kerguelen islands close to the Antarctic

3 Likes

The power and the speed at which this thing cuts through the ocean is just transcendent

1 Like

Why do we not have an America’s cup race game yet?

2 Likes

What kind of game that would be?

I don’t know but if I was setting the rules of Americas Cup, the next contest would be with 17th century galleons, 40 cannons minimum

3 Likes

Ocean Outrun?
oceanoutrun

6 Likes

Everyone would have to use 1970’s era oceanic research ships. Ala the Belefonte from life aquatic or the calypso from Jacque Cousteau vs the space pirates.

1 Like

The grande finale would be the walk-off of the capitains on the ship deck a la Zoolander

i3BDF5

2 Likes

That would be the greatest America’s cup ever.