Poll: TV-out vs. VGA

Let’s assume you could connect your Pokitto to an external display. Would you rather connect using:

• TV-out (Composite / S-VHS)
  • VGA
  • Not interested

0 voters

Any particular reasons for your votes?

The availability of old monitors to tinker with.

I think more people would have a tv with video than would have monitors with vga.

There are monitors without vga?

I think that computer people are more likely to own a monitor with VGA than a TV (I have like 10 monitors around, and I know many people who don’t own TV at all). I couldn’t even recall what these TV outs looked like, had to google.

Don’t know what the exact plans are, but if this raises Pokitto price more than a very small amount, I’d probably go with “Not interested” (I think I wouldn’t be the only one, but when you ask about additional features, always expect yes answers from everyone :slight_smile: ).

TV-out is more retro, which is cool, but it’s slightly harder to find suitable monitors these days.

VGA is still reasonably common on monitors, though it’s gradually becoming less common.

I own both a TV-out TV and a monitor with VGA.
The monitor is reasonably modern, but the TV is at least a decade old.
(I keep it around so I can still use my Gamecube.)

You remember when @uXe made the Arduboy to VGA board using FPGA?
@filmote’s monitor didn’t have a VGA port, so @uXe loaned him one.

VGA is dying, but very, very slowly.

1 Like

We’re talking about a potential hat here. No point in integrating this into the Pokitto itself.

Composite TV-out with color is quite complicated and does require an additional chip if done properly.

2 Likes

Also, different tv standards make a universal option harder to do. NTSC is apparently far easier than PAL.
So yeah, Although I think TV-out would be more usable, VGA is far easier to implement, and is also universal.

Just to confirm, when the poll says “TV-out”, I assume we’re talking about RCA connectors rather than S-Video?

RCA:

S-Video:

That’s what I assumed, s-video doesn’t seem to be a standard connection from my experience. I don’t think I have ever seen 2 s-video connectors the same.

Go with a huge SCART plug with RGB out for perfect video quality :stuck_out_tongue: .

…are SCART plugs still manufactured?

1 Like

I probably would not find much use for the tv-out, based on my experience with the (old) mobile phones with the tv-out. But I assume that was not the point.
I do not have any special reasoning to use the composite, except that I have used that with mobile phones with tv-out.

I still have some RCA to SCART adaptors, so I’m covered either way.
(I’ve just discovered that SCART is/was French. I never knew that before.)

For that matter, do TVs still have scart ports?

I think so, my TV is only a few years old and kinda budgetty and it has one. Plugged into the Saturn, of course.

1 Like

Next time I’m in an applience shop I’ll make sure to ask which of the 4K TVs have SCART and brace myself for weird looks.

Sanshiro-san approves.

(For those who don’t know who Sanshiro-san is, see here and here.)

TV-out of course, and with a switch box:

note: the slider has to come really scratchy/rusted from the factory.

6 Likes

Aww, here I was hoping for a Pokitto console. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

hmm… hmm… Hmmm :thinking:

But then it would be a Floor-kitto instead of a Pocket-kitto. :P

3 Likes