Extensible Loader

Really keen on seeing where the new loader will be going. But I will wait for a stable release… Maybe even a new gamedisk made for the new loader.

3 Likes

Works now! What was the problem?

1 Like

It didn’t work :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

FS.seekdir was broken. Now the mystery is why did it ever work on some cards? :stuck_out_tongue:

How is the flashing speed compared to the vanilla loader?
@spinal do you notice a speed difference between your cards?

Looks exactly the same to me…

[edit] vanilla as in original… it feels faster, is it even possible to revert to an earlier loader?

2 Likes

I think installing start.bin using usb is the easy way, at the moment.
I’ll try to add support for .der files soon, so you’ll be able to simply pick a loader file and install it. Since all the code can be put in RAM it can update itself… theoretically.

So much to do… T_T

Yup, it worked. Your loader is about twice as fast.

2 Likes

I guess that means we won’t have minigames in the loading-screen then. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think minigames on loading screens are patented anyway.

They were. The patent expired. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why was Bandi allowed to patent an ‘idea’ in the 90’s that someone else did in the 80’s?

1 Like

Is that loading screen 3 minutes long? o_O

Did you never own one of the old 8-bits? 3 minutes was easily the average loading time for a game. I remember even having a game called ‘in the beginning’ that warned on the cassette inlay of a 13 minute load time!

I started off on the NES. No tapes, no loading screens. :stuck_out_tongue:

So much to do, so much to see, so much to do, so much to see…

1 Like

They probably shoved a lot of money and hookers at someone.

1 Like

Today I got the loader to load .der files, so now it can update/uninstall itself.

Now I’ll start working on the tool for making pop files out of bins.

5 Likes

So we can soon add icons to our bins? That nice!

2 Likes

That’s the idea. I’m thinking of making a github site where you drop the bin in, fill out a form (author name, description, etc) and it gives you a pop.

For those who’d prefer to not use a browser and/or make pop file generation part of the build process, a NodeJS-based command-line tool has already been made.

2 Likes

Is that available somewhere?