Your Pokitto - Show it to the World!

I can guarantee Pokitto is the rarest console in the picture… for the time being.

3 Likes

Hahaha, yes your right :smile:

So which one is the rarest? To your right of what? :wink:

1 Like

N-Gage!! I loved that phone way more than I should have.
Did you also actually use it as a side talking taco phone or was I the only one?

The LYNX too, though i’d prob miss that one more if it wasn’t for the battery life.

I used the qd version of the ngage, that was hold as a normal phone. :smile:

I can vouch for the nomad thing I got $150 for mine when I sold it two years ago.

How did you go about cutting off the arms and legs? I had been trying to figure out how I might approach it myself.

Not bad, but i more of a keeper instead of a seller :slight_smile:
I sold mine Genesis with like a 100 games when i was a kid, that still hurts today…

2 Likes

I never could understand why people would want to sell their games or consoles.
I still own every game and console I ever bought, no matter how damaged or how lame they are.
With one or two exceptions, I think I’d regret selling them.

2 Likes

I did each half separately, one tab at a time, before assembling it. It’s possible that you could just slice them off with an X-ACTO type hobby knife, but not knowing the properties of the plastic used, I didn’t want to risk cracking the case.

For each tab, I

• Put a couple of layers of masking tape on either side of the tab to avoid scratching the sides of the case.
  • Carefully cut the tab off with a small saw blade that came with a hobby knife kit I had. A small hack saw, fretsaw or similar would probably also work.
  • Used some small files to smooth at shape the cut.
  • Temporarily joined the two halves and did a bit more filing to even it up where the sides meet. I didn’t file the tab completely off and flush with the case. I left a fraction of a millimetre of the tab material.
  • Removed the masking tape.

The saw I used, pictured below, is about 18cm (7") long total, including the handle.

Another way I considered, which would probably work, would be to use a Dremel type rotary tool with a saw blade or cutoff wheel, followed by filing.

Awesome, thank you for the info! I’ll definitely need to find a similar type of fine saw and give it a go myself. Not completely confident I can get this thing back apart though, it snapped together pretty firmly.

:scream:

poor Pokitto…(just kidding go amputate it!)

My ex basically forced me to sell all my stuff, I miss it don’t get me wrong, not a lot left in my collection these days.
Hence why i like my pocket chip and want a Pokitto

If you do miss the old consoles check this out : https://retropie.org.uk/

It is a fun way to experience some of the older systems.

With a Dremel, even at the slowest setting (5000 RPM) you will melt/burn the plastic. I think a sharp single-sided blade will work better.

1 Like

That wouldn’t be a problem if you cut back far enough and then filed down the excess. I would make test cuts staring from the tips of the tabs to find out what speed works best and decide how close you can cut from the body.

Here is my Pokitto with Mt. Fuji in the background:

I had a little trouble keeping the buttons in place while I put the case together. Finally I ended up putting a piece of vinyl tape on the outside of the case across the button holes, and then I pushed the buttons into the tape. After that, no troubles.

It was cool to see Squiddy running on the real hardware. I was able to play through the “moving ball” level, so I guess it’s responsive enough. Now I need to go back and add sound.

It’s a great gadget. Feels good in the hands, and is fun to play!!!

Thanks,

Catsfolly

8 Likes

Is it possible to get more levels in Squiddy? My kids have played it through many times and they would love to get more to play :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, it’s cool to hear that your kids played through all the levels many times! That’s great!

It is definitely possible to get more levels in Squiddy - currently a level takes around 200 bytes. so 5 levels would take about 1k, and 50 levels would take about 10k. So there’s room for more levels.

On the other hand, all of the current 31 levels were designed by Aphrodite for the original Pico-8 version, so I haven’t tried designing any yet. I could give it a go, though…

If your kids have any ideas for levels they want to see, they could design them themselves.
Just get a piece of graph paper, mark out a 16 by 16 square area, and fill the squares with these codes:

0 (or empty square) blank
1 grid tile (white square)
2 goal tile (green square)
3 up arrow
4 right arrow
5 down arrow
6 left arrow
7 background “squiddy” square

Send me a picture of the graph paper, and I’ll enter it in…

(Sorry it’s so low tech… I guess if there was enough demand I could work on an editor…)

Thanks for playing,

Catsfolly

1 Like

Or write a specification for the file format and allow someone else to build an editor.

1 Like