[WIP] Tiny Fleets

Tiny Fleets

I am working on a hotseat multiplayer game that combines classic battleships with a bit of paper, rock and scissors and a slapstick WWII Pacific theme

The idea is that it can be played by multiple players by giving your orders in turns

kuva

“Just Fleets” is a working title, better name suggestions are welcome.

The game will be played in turns with 2-4 players, red fleet vs. blue fleet

Ships

• Carrier (main enemy is a sub)
  • Destroyer (main enemy is a carrier)
  • Submarine (main enemy is a destroyer)

Play loop

• player 1 inputs moves as simple up,down etc + actions
  • player 1 clicks to hide moves
  • player 2 clicks to open player 2 view
  • player 2 makes moves
  • after all moves are made, we see the end result
    … repeat from beginning
11 Likes

Day 2:

Created land tilesheets. Making a continuous island edge set is not easy, it requires going back and forth between editor (Photoshop) and Tiled

kuva

justfleets_tiles

7 Likes

That almost looks like a pixelated satellite view of an actual island. Definitely looks great.

2 Likes

Looks great! I like the concept. Are you planning a single user mode against AI?

2 Likes

That depends on how difficult making an AI is. I will try.

3 Likes

Day 3

Created a FemtoIDE project by modifying the P-Type example project

4 Likes

Day 4

The user interface is maturing as I am both playing around with the basics of navigation in FemtoIDE and trying ideas.

The movement and collision will be based on a grid, but I am not going to superimpose the grid on the graphics itself. It is unnecessary and takes away from the feeling.

Also, the ability to use actual 256 colours (thanks to TAS) allows me to make some very nice graduations etc. Really enjoying working with so many colours.

EDIT: also renamed project to “Tiny Fleets”

kuva

4 Likes

The game starts to look and feel really interesting!

1 Like

Day 5

I have minimap and world scrolling working 100% now. I have begun creating the ship sprites.

The UI will change to something like this, with ship names given automatically from a list of funny words, like the teams in Worms

kuva

6 Likes

Worms had some great naming stuff :grin:

1 Like