Karateka

@Vampirics and I are working on a remake of a classic '80s game, Karateka. This game means a lot to me as I played it endlessly as a child on my Apple ][ right up until Prince of Persia game along … but that’s another story.

The game was originally developed by Jordan Mechner (who did PoP as well) and is was very cutting edge BITD with cut scenes and a beautiful story. Squeezing it into the Pokitto and making it a worthy remake is taking time but we are slowly making progress.

@vampirics has ‘colourised’ and enhanced the graphics as usual!

In the meantime, here are some teaser pics …

Karateka_Pokitto.bin.1  Karateka_Pokitto.bin.2

Karateka_Pokitto.bin.3  Ani-Princess

Ani-Fighter-Entering

14 Likes

Looks fantastic again (especially the abimations and colors!

2 Likes

Thanks Nicole … it looks much better on the Pokitto than on my old monochrome Apple!

2 Likes

This is going to be legendary

2 Likes

I hope so. I realise the game isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I am trying to stay very truthful to the original.

3 Likes

That looks beautiful!

2 Likes

Stunning graphics and the animations look spot on!

4 Likes

A lot of progress, we actually have a game now. Needs some game play tuning …

6 Likes

Can’t wait to play it, thought not a huge fan of 1v1 fighters there have still been some that I’ve really liked. Looking forward to adding yet another excellent PPOT game to my library.

2 Likes

Here are my memories of the game …

4 Likes

What a beautiful machine

1 Like

Please tell me you still have one of these wonderfully crafted devices. I heard at one point that Wozniak would autograph any people still had that’s working. I remember the old Apple IIe’s from my early years in school.

Unfortunately, no. I had one of these then an Apple II C … that was really cool got its time.

Majestic! Is prince of persia in the roadmap also?

2 Likes

I would absolutely love to. That is in my top five games of all time. (My list starts from about 1978 and ends in the mid-80s!).

I suspect it is a big challenge though.

4 Likes

I’d like to know, if you don’t mind sharing: which games are in your top ten games of all time (from 1978 to mid-80s)?

1 Like

I might have the dates wrong, but they would be Galaga, Lode Runner, Karateka, Prince of Persia and 1942 / 1943 (in no particular order).

I am not a serious gamer nowadays - these are the games I played to death when I was a teenager.

You might note that I have remade all of these except PoP on either the Pokitto or Arduboy or both!

4 Likes

We are looking to release this tomorrow!

7 Likes

Finally, we published it! [GAME]Karateka [V1.0.0]

4 Likes