[WIP] Joe 2

this looks awesome

2 Likes

“tor”? The Onion Router?

Here’s a quick screenshot, converting the screen to 16bit in the last pass of the linefiller and the door is an 8bit sprite that uses an external palette converted to 16bit to render…

7 Likes

How It Started… . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .How It’s Going…

9 Likes

So far (recently) added 16bit sprite layer, all of the background and sprites are converted to a 16bit scanline layer, so that each sprite can now have a palette outside of the 8bit palette allowed by the default tas line filler.
The sprite layer can now handle 8, 4 or 2 bit sprite data, so currently the gem sprites are all the same graphic, but with a different unique palette applied at render time.

Also, added a nice sparkle to the gems :stuck_out_tongue:
sparkle

11 Likes

That looks amazing! Definitely makes a player want to grab that gem :eyes: so sparkles…

3 Likes

Procrastinating again…

6 Likes

Looks very good!

1 Like

I love that I noticed the similarities haha

3 Likes

There seems to be some limitation to libhotswap that I am confusing myself with. I have tried reducing the size of my hotswap flash area, as I’m currently using 72k and the level 1 data is only 44k. Reducing the hotswap to 60k or even lower, results in the game freezing when loading the level. :thinking: yet if I set ot to 64k it works fine.

Swapping to flash uses sectors. AFAIK they are multiples of 8k

I’ll give that a try, I have 4k in my notes, must have got mixed up at some point.

2 Likes

Is it really as simple as that?
This doesn’t work

using LevelData = Hotswap<56*1024, 0>; // multiple of 8kb = Palette and level tiles

This works

using LevelData = Hotswap<64*1024, 0>; // multiple of 8kb = Palette and level tiles

It seems to be doing that thing again…

But I’m thinking that it’s something to do with my sprite filler again.

OK, after playing with the code a little, I am at the point where a debug build will run but a ‘real’ build fails at some point when starting the level. Also the file size if quite a bit different between the two builds…
Debug ----------------------- Proper

Since last time, with help from @FManga, @carbonacat and a few others, I have corrected the ‘not working on hardware’ issue. Also managed to keep the framerate above 20fps with all layers active, which I am VERY impressed with.

3 Likes

What was the problem?

1 Like

Trying to occasionally draw sprites off screen, no doubt drop some data somewhere it shouldn’t be.

3 Likes

Finally added ‘Something happens when you hit an enemy’…
collision

9 Likes

It seems a good idea now that Joe can lose lives, he should be able to lose all of them!

7 Likes

Today I started work on the ingame menu, for pausing, exiting etc…

So far so good.

8 Likes