[WIP] Joe 2

Most of you know I have been working on Joe 2 for a little while. The progress hasn’t been super fast, but it’s coming along.

Features
Level data is re-flashed rather than streaming 100% from the microSD card. This helps a lot with running speed and also allows MUCH bigger levels to be created when compared to single load games.
Rare gameplay mechanic, whereby the colours in the world must be collected by Joe in order to fulfil his quest to undo the blandening that was brought about by ‘the magician’.
image image

Progress so far
Level loading works on emulator, although not on a real Pokitto, nobody yet knows why.
Re-saturation of gfx when the colours are collected.
Two layer backgrounds.
Per pixel background collisions.
Object sprites.
Enemy sprites.
BG music streaming.

The sound is a bit quiet, so turn it up :stuck_out_tongue:
14 Likes

Glad to see this coming along!

1 Like

Oh - nice to see Joe is alive :slight_smile:

1 Like

Added a little video of the current progress.

4 Likes

Looking great!

2 Likes

Amazing to see it running so well on HW :+1:Fps is at good level too.

2 Likes

50% frameskip so graphically it’s closer to 25fps, but steady enough to feel ‘right’.

4 Likes

Made the Gem collection a little nicer.

6 Likes

That looks great! :smiley:

2 Likes

Added ‘ground hugging’, basically when falling I check a couple of pixels lower and then ‘magnet’ joe down to ground level is there’s ground there. This prevents Joe from falling down gentle slopes and makes it look more like a real game.

Before
test1

After
test

5 Likes

This just looks better and better. I’m so excited for this one :neutral_face:

2 Likes

If anyone gets a few minutes spare at any time (no rush), I’d like a little feedback on how the following acceleration test feels to play…

https://github.com/spinalcode/Joe2/blob/main/Joe_2_alpha.zip

I can’t tell if I like it or not :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Holy buckets :scream:

So I just had a few minutes to play, so I didn’t see everything (and I kept falling in the holes lol) But oh my gosh this is incredible. The dashing took my by surprise at first (into a pit) but that is a cool feature. The gradual increase in color blows my mind :eyes: like… a lot…
I’m really loving this so far. Can’t wait to get some more time to hop around!

2 Likes

I’ve removed the dashing for now, it felt a bit ‘slipery’. Perhaps I’ll work on it again later :thinking:
I really need to come up with s few enemy ideas and perhaps something else to collect…

1 Like

I’ve adjusted the saturation to work an a curve, which more closely matches how one might imagine the saturation percentage, rather than a perfectly accurate representation.

The end result is that it takes a little longer for increased saturation to show much of an effect. Another thing is that because of the math involved in the saturation process, converting between colour spaces etc. 100% saturation is actually a little higher, so a completed level is slightly over saturated, which adds to the effect of Joe creating a more colourful world!

image image image image image image

6 Likes

This looks incredible when you put the images in a row like that, WOW!

1 Like

A quick test of the door animation, using direct pixels from raw 16bit rgb565 image data…

door test

Currently doesn’t display at all on hardware. I must be doing the direct pixels wrong.

4 Likes

What does rgb262 mean?

…Typo :shushing_face:

1 Like

Is this a door door or a “tor” door, meaning can you actually go through it to another place/space?

3 Likes