PetRobo - The Virtual Pet Trainer Game
Source: PetRobo on github
Going to get started on this devlog so I don’t forget anything, and since doing the devlog with VirusBuster went really well it just makes sense to catalog and get feedback from folks early on and often
Main ideas so far:
- P.E.T - Programmable Entity Trainer. This is the name of the game device used to train and care for the virtual pet. It provides a very simple interface.
- APP - Artificial Player Program. The name of the virtual pets.
My target demographic is the younger crowd for this one. Primarily my toddlers. This means the interface needs to be simple to use and mostly with symbolic icons instead of lots of text (I usually go text heavy so this will be a fun challenge).
There will be no “combat” involved as I don’t want battling and fighting to be a concept in this game (given the demographic). But there will be competitive events, almost like sports. I would like to figure out a way how to make this multiplayer using the PEX. But that will be a final goal. Another thing that would be very fun is hooking up sensors to do something we will see how far I get on that idea.
I quickly whipped up a mock of some of the key elements yesterday:
Left and Right meters: Will graphically show the Power, Maintenance, Discharge and Mood of the APP. These will be replenished doing various tasks.
Center: The main view into the APP’s world. This will contain a selection of different backgrounds (extremely simple backgrounds, due to limitations) with the APP itself and a few other moving elements (in this sample the clouds would be moving in the background). This can also be an indicator of the APP’s status, for example if low power the sprite can show it, or if in Low Mood it will be sulky and not always answer commands
Bottom row: The primary icons for commands. From Left to Right:
- Source Code: used to hack on the APP’s source code (will be a mini game of sorts). This will be used for altering stats and possibly gaining a bonus stat. Though with improper hacking this could also lower some other statuses (for example, introducing a bug that drains power a little)
- Event Training: In the game there will be various competitive events. I’m thinking for sure some kind of racing event, something strength based (like demolition contest).
- Cleaning: This is to be used for polishing and cleaning the APP. Helpful for mood and to reduce the speed of required maintenance.
- Recharge: This puts the APP into a sleep mode to recharge energy. The background will change to the APP in a charging container.
- Pause/Menu: Shows a menu for saving or new game. Maybe reverting to a previous save state as well ?
- Power: Return to main menu.
These are all just ideas that are subject to change. But I wanted to start documenting the process