[GAME] Donkey Kong JR Game & Watch Demake

Hi,

Thanks to Filmote for having bringing me there and Jonne for being a very nice person.

I’m actually adapting my Donkey Kong JR simulator for the Pokitto.

Note : The pokitto game is available here : [Game] DK-101 [V0.99]

So far :
dkjr

Also, I would like to port my Gamebuino Meta Game & Watch (Monkeys, Manhole, Nu Pogodi), all information is welcome :slight_smile:
Cheers

10 Likes

Hi @gibs ! Welcome on board :smiley: .
Seems like you’ve already familiarize with the dev tools and start making great stuff. Feel free to ask in any case.

The game so far looks gorgeous and will be a great addiction to our game library.
I suggest to think about a hard mode, as you’ll soon discover some people here love crunch high scores for breakfast :wink:

2 Likes

Looks very promising! Kong II is one of the most played games here so expect great interest in your game once it is ready :wink:

2 Likes

Looks really great so far. I like the Arduboy version and can’t wait to add the Pokitto version with color to my library.

Bring on the pain!!! :joy:

3 Likes

Oh, wonderful to see you around here!

2 Likes

Thank guys :slight_smile:

I have some animals now :

dkjr1

4 Likes

Hey Michael, welcome aboard. Glad you made the plunge.

Are you going to keep that at 220x176 or on a 110x88 screen and have it scrolling?

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:
No, I use the TAS screen (I know it’s ridiculous because I only use 5 colours, but maybe I would like to change graphics later). So I will center the 160x144 screen and will put a frame of the g&w.

2 Likes

Right, I wonder if you could create a frame like we did for Kong II

4 Likes

No, like this one:

Then I’ll switch to the DS gfx (If I’m motivated).

3 Likes

Little update :

dkjr2

7 Likes

Looks great! Is that original gfx from the g&w game?

There are from the Gameboy Color

On a side note, I would love to know more about the graphics designers behind the G&W games. They were very skilled, packing so much drama into such simple characters

1 Like

Some original draws have been revealed on Nintendo Pinterest.

Example : https://pin.it/7ATIZGr

And : http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/clubn/game-and-watch-ball-reward/0/2

2 Likes

THIS GUY

…designed Donkey Kong G&W (among other things)

What a legend.

http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/makoto-kano

AND THIS GUY

… designed the art for Donkey Kong JR

3 Likes

Little update :slight_smile:

dkjr3

6 Likes

This looks soooo good.

1 Like

Looks very nice!
Btw. have you considered remaking gfx? That would be safer considering big N’s interest to protect its IP.

1 Like

@Zockeromi thanks :slight_smile:

@Hanski Interesting subject. I would answer that if you put a duck instead of the monkey, then it’s not the same game anymore :slight_smile:
Those games are 40YO now, Madrigal wich has done a lot of g&w simulators never had any problems. Of course most of its simulators are ‘scanned’ from the originals. Steph has done a version of this g&w on the gamebuino with the same name and never had any problems.
I have heard that using the term “demake” can help to show that it’s just a fan job. So I don’t really know… With N everything is possible. I have seen them taking down Super Mario C64…
But it’s a real question there. This is why my first simulators on gamebuino were Monkeys (Time & Fun / Ludotronic) and Nu Pogadi (Russian version of Mikey/Wolf).

That said, I’m not going to make only G&W :slight_smile:

4 Likes