[Game]Anarch -- Doom clone FPS

Thanks very much, going to order it and add support for it in the game.

This should be possible once I add mouse support, will try to do it once I get my joystick.

Yep, will do :slight_smile:

I take a look at it and reimplement it in my repo.

I am currently not accepting merge requests for this game because I want to be the only author of the whole game so that the probability of legal trouble arising from multiple authors is minimized, otherwise I’d merge your changes of course.

I absolutely do encourage forks and modding though so keep hacking it please.

2 Likes

Any progress on this little gem?

3 Likes

Am slowly working on it, I really want to finish this project and show the world. I have all enemies, weapons, textures and most gameplay stuff implemented, also mouse support, ATM I am adding sounds, then I need to finish a few details, create the actual levels and some simple menu system.

About the name I’ve been thinking about dropping my anti-trademark requirements because they really don’t allow for a nice name. Maybe I could simply call it something like Anarch?

I am also going to order the joystick hat but I don’t have enough money on my PayPal ATM, will have to make a bank transfer and wait till they arrive.

6 Likes

Mouse like an external mouse?

Can I offer to gift it for you? I’ll be glad to. Just let @jonne find out how to manage this.

1 Like

No, I didn’t mean it to sound like I am asking for money :smile: It’s just an explanation for why I haven’t ordered it yet even though I said I would – I had issues with my bank account because I forgot my password etc. I’m definitely gonna order it in upcoming days.

Yes, but it’s also a support for general analog input so it should work with the joystick hopefully.

5 Likes

Progress update:

I’ve added sound effects, menu, improved images and raycastlib itself in the process and a lot of other things.

I’ve also started creating the actual levels – they are part of the source code and can be edited manually in a text editor, but for the sake of comfort I’ve created a little helper script with which I can create the levels in an image editor such as GIMP and use all the features such as copy paste, flipping, rotation, shape drawing etc. – the script takes the image and turns it into the text representation. So the levels look something like this:

levelX

Still creating a level takes much more time than I expected.

Currently I am working on music. First I wanted to write my own MIDI-like player, but that turned out to be too much extra work, so I decided for bytebeat. The soundtrack will consist of multiple tracks that I am now creating. I am kinda getting more interested in the math of bytebeat as I am getting into it, it’s very interesting and addictive. Here is an example of one track I’ve made.

9 Likes

Really looking forward to this… Will there be lots of secrets? In Doom a good part of the fun for me was to find the secrets😄

3 Likes

Interesting story on PS1 texture mapping and capabilities. I see @drummyfish engine has many similar artefacts (affine mapping + fixed point popping)

4 Likes

Lovely graphics, I could watch that all day :heart: Low-res low-poly is my fetish :laughing:

BTW Anarch is being worked on intensively, I see it close to finished, but will rather say expect it on Christmas, because of Hofstadter’s Law.

5 Likes

Isn’t it funny that artefacts is what makes a certain gameconsole / computer so lovable?

Yes yes, of course it’s mostly nostalgia, but I think there’s something to the low quality/resolution that makes it in certain aspect better than HD/HQ. It’s similar to a book vs a movie – a book leaves more space to fantasy. LQ graphics show the rough shapes, but you need to utilize your imagination to give a meaning to only a few pixels in the distance. I remember in the 90s I thought there was an entire world programmed in in a video game because I couldn’t tell the background was just an image.

2 Likes

Really? That sounds promising!

And also text adventures or early video games (e.g. “Tennis” or Atari 2600) in were the graphics was really abstract. The game cover images at that time gave great boost to imagination :slight_smile:

I’ve ordered the Joyhat to make this game work with it. Is there any documentation on its API? Also, I’m not sure whether it will come assembled or not? I can’t solder xD

I don’t think the hat needs any soldering, but just in case:

If the misbehaving idiots I went to secondary school with can do it without setting fire to to anything, I’m sure you’ll manage just fine.

The short/oversimplified version:

1. heat the iron up
  2. dab it on a wet sponge to make sure it’s clean
  3. hold it against the contact on the board
  4. feed the solder onto the connection
  5. dab it onto a damp sponge to keep it clean and prevent oxidisation
  6. if not finished, goto 3
3 Likes

Joystick hat comes assembled :+1:

2 Likes

It looks great! i’ll try to port it for my ESPboy. as far as i see the license allows to do it

2 Likes

WOW, ESPboy looks very nice, I’ll take a closer look and would probably want to buy one, and then of course I would also port it and include it in the official ports.

The repo is publicly accessible and public domain, but I advise you to please wait with porting and playing until it’s finished! I still need to finish placing monsters in two levels, then play throught the game on all platforms and adjust the levels, refactor, test and unbug the code and create promotional media you’ll be able to use.

1 Like

is it a way to take part in beta-testing? )

6 posts were split to a new topic: Welcome Roman/ESPBoy

If I decide to do public beta testing, I’ll let you know! As I say it’s publicly available and public domain from the start, so it is possible for you to download it, compile it and play around with it, but right now it’s in a messed-up in-development state and won’t easily compile plus things aren’t working as they should, everything uses temporary settings like invulnerability etc., so please just wait :slight_smile: I now know you’re interested and will give you all the updates.

+1 to @jonne for not censoring other consoles. This sense of trust is part of what makes this community awesome, and I also believe collaboration is better than competition. From my experience people interested in these consoles buy all of them anyway :slight_smile:

5 Likes