Welcome Roman/ESPBoy

When you say AppStore do you mean an actual cloud App Store or something stored on a sdcard like the loader for pokitto? I ask because having come from the NextThingCo pocketCHiP crowd being tied to a remote source for my software, especially operating systems is something I don’t like. I have not been able to use any of my CHiPs or pocket chips since they went belly up because the OS loader was done from their servers only.

And I’m really interested in building one of these, I think I may have most of the parts already

Using the AppStore is optional. You will always be able to load/update your ESPBoy locally.

1 Like

You can use the standard Arduino IDE with all the Arduino libraries to make the software. Or compile and upload original ESPboy software from GitHub or you can connect to the cloud AppStore with WiFi, select the App you want and download it.
It’s up to you.
I think I’ll release AppStore2 in January 2021 with a much better user interface, “App liking” functionality, and probably with uploading the game records to the common hall of fame.

Besides the described development tools there are a wide range of others and even more
Espressif SDK, RTOS, Mongoose OS, MicroPython, LUA, BASIC and so on

I’ll take a look at the dev environment now. TBH I hate Arduino IDE, I program in everything in vim and compile from command line. Is there an easy way to compile/upload from CLI?

no idea about CLI for ESPboy
the last time I used CLI was Watcom C++ with DOS4gw about 22 years ago )

VS Code+Platformio is much better than standard IDE
and there is a way to use Visual Studio

Hahahahaha!!!

1 Like