I’ve been looking at the alternatives of how to host the Pokitto games & apps (meaning the place where they can be downloaded from).
Ofcourse, we can just make a games section on www.pokitto.com by using some sort of a wiki system (like Gamebuino). But wiki has its limitations.
One of my main requirements for the hosting systen is that you as contributors can easily create and edit your own entries. This means there needs to be a system for you to upload screenshots, game files, possibly links to your project on github etc.
So here comes a crazy idea, and I’d like your feedback:
What if we host all the games on itch.io ?
Before you turn the idea down, think about this. Itch.io has the following benefits:
- a good editor for creating your game page
- we can create a Pokitto collection / collections according to genres
- everyone can easily create an itch.io account
- including simulator files (so that you can show the game on a PC) is simple
- you can even sell your game through itch.io if Pokitto turns out to become a success
- itch io games can be embedded as widgets on the pokitto.com site easily
- other itch.io users will be exposed to our game creations and find out about Pokitto
Can anyone think of downsides to this idea?