[Tool]Gameboy Emulator

@uXe: Did I miss something or do those palettes only have 4 colors in-game? The Gameboy Color palettes I use have 14. I can add some of them, but in comparison they’re kinda boring?

@jonne: D’oh! Will implement that ASAP! EDIT: Done. Just drag-and-drop a previously exported JSON palette in.

@escamillo: It would be easier to emulate a Pokitto on an ODroid Go. :stuck_out_tongue:

And then emulate the ODroid Go on a laptop, and then run that in VirtualBox. And then put that VirtualBox inside another VirtualBox and then I’ll email that VirtualBox to myself and when it arrives… I’ll smash it with a hammer!

2 Likes

@FManga … I know I’m pushing this but, any chance of custom borders? :wink: ?

1 Like

Try dragging and dropping a PNG. :smiley:

EDIT:
I should probably document how it works…
It will center the image on the screen and crop off any excess. In theory, anything >= to the Pokitto’s 220x176 resolution should work, but I’ve only tested with 256x224. It should already have up to 256 colors, saying the conversion to 8-bit is rudimentary is putting it lightly. :stuck_out_tongue:

The window inside is 160x144.
That means there’s 16 pixels for the borders over/under the screen, and 30 on either side.

2 Likes

@FManga :

could you add back a possibility to generate binary with 1) no border 2) no stretch ?

You mean a black border? I didn’t think there’d be any reason to want that, but sure.
EDIT: Added “black” option, below “None (Stretch)”.

Prince of Persia border

5 Likes

Castlevania II border and palette

{
  "PALETTE_NAME":[
    "#cc96d3", "#435443", "#9e2589", "#0a0d14",
    "#cc96d3", "#37338e", "#9e2589", "#0a0d14",
    "#000000", "#222222", "#169a73", "#ffb0d8",
    "#000000", "#3a1abd", "#f00000", "#ffffff"
  ]
}
5 Likes

Did you make these or find them somewhere and modify them?

I made them, but just quickly slapping together of existing game art in photoshop

2 Likes

Those borders and colors just look marvellous!

Thanks @jonne, these are great! I just added them to the converter. :smiley:

TURRICAN palette

{
    "#000000", "#00a404", "#ff0000", "#ffdc17",
    "#ff8000", "#91db88", "#272727", "#000000",
    "#b13eff", "#000000", "#ffff80", "#ff8000",
    "#53ff09", "#f06e0a", "#ffffff", "#ffffff"
  ]
}

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever played Turrican before. I added the palette to the converter. It looks so much better than monochrome!

I had not played Turrican before either.

I have been playing it now. Turns out its one of the best Gameboy platformers I’ve tried.

2 Likes

Super Mario Land palette

{
    "#00530b", "#ff3300", "#ffff75", "#41b7fe",
    "#000000", "#ffff00", "#c46200", "#ffffff",
    "#bf0202", "#ff0000", "#fde2d7", "#ffffff",
    "#000000", "#f06e0a", "#ffffff", "#ffffff"
  ]
}
5 Likes

I just added it, along with a palette for Dig Dug:

5 Likes

So technically it’s not really an emulator, right?

EDIT: Oh I see, it has zboy inside, so it really is doing the emulation. The performance is very impressive then :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Saying that it converts roms into bins is a simpler way of explaining the process you use it with. Generally people expect to run the emulator then pick a rom, rather than having the rom embedded in the emulator.

3 Likes

Felipe, I noticed homebrews don’t run.

I wanted to add some PD roms in order to showcase the GB emulation but they all end up in a white screen. I got the roms from here: https://gamejolt.com/@refreshgames/games?os=rom

Press the three dots (…) next to the game name to download (not play) the roms

1 Like