[Tool]FemtoIDE

Well the size is due to being super packed with features. Pio when I used it was just a c++ toolchain and build system. FemtoIDE has debugger, multiple project types as you see, an emulator and a simulator, different editing tools for audio and images, and support for extending with scripts! It is a super cool tool :slight_smile: but yeah definitely larger than a simple pio toolchain heh…

I like the offline capability of it and being all in one :ok_hand:.

I’m not sure what you mean by “offline capability”.

1GB install size is really unacceptable on my system, sorry :#

1 Like

Offline as in it works without being connected to the internet. Sometimes I do not have internet, and previous renditions of pokitto programming required online editors.

I just found out that the search string in “edit/Find in Project” is a regular expression! Cool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a sad day when people are talking about being able to work without an internet connection as if it were an extra feature and not minimum expected behaviour.

Small quibble: both EmBitz and PlatformIO+<insert editor> would work without an internet connection.

From what I remember, PlatformIO did briefly have an issue where it wasn’t compiling without an internet connection, but it turned out that was actually due to the Python script that tried to update the Pokitto library failing when it couldn’t connect and thus aborting the build process.
If I recall correctly, I looked into the issue and wrote a fix for it (despite my general dislike of Python) which was merged into the PokittoIO repo.

1 Like

Hey! The forum told me it was 8 months since your last post! Nice to see you again :smiley: Have you tried FemtoIDE yet? I remember some of your help pushing for PIO, but since FemtoIDE came out I find PIO isn’t even necessary anymore :smiley:

Bit offtopic here.

But no, I vaguely heard of it in passing. Can’t find any clear documentation/user guide on it? (github wiki is not that informative from a user perspective). Is it just a toolchain or an actual IDE?

Haven’t had too much time to play with pokitto unfortunately (life got in the way), but I read the emails and try to look at the projects people post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its an actual IDE with built in graphics editor / image conversion / emulator / kitchen sink.

1 Like

Yes, I found a whole bunch of kitchensinks and second bathrooms, but none of the doors had any handles on them (ok going off on the metaphores here).

It’s cool, but also really slow on my laptop (2nd gen i5 with ssd and 8GB ram).
Honestly I’m impressed, but I’d be more happy if the image editor, image conversion, emulator, and maybe even debugger, could be used separately without the rest of the editor :#

(again, don’t listen to me. do your thing!)

The image editor is actually this: https://www.piskelapp.com/

The emulator can be used separately, I do often do that: https://github.com/felipemanga/pokittoemu

As for the conversion and debugger stuff I am sure there is a way :thinking: I just haven’t dug enough into those.
But it is nice and open source :smile:

I do not find it slow at all.

Do you mean slow when editing, when building an app to run or when the emu is running?

The editor and UI, emu is perfect. C++ hello and p-type builds work fine. micropython fails:

/home/dreamer/Downloads/bin/FemtoIDE-linux-v1.0.0/projects/Hello MicroPython/micropython/frozen_mpy.c:520:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘MP_ROM_QSTR’
     MP_ROM_QSTR(MP_QSTR_self),
     ^~~~~~~~~~~

java is not available on linux, or I need to set some different paths?

Wish I could resize/detach/tab the debug window.

Icons are often too small or confusing.

Ok, I played around a little bit more. The pixel editor is super cool btw!

The compile/debug window feels the most laggy for me I think.

It doesn’t use true jvm java. It compiles java (as we affectionately named it Javitto) to native code. I use it on linux and it works.

Sorry about that, it’s a known issue. PyInSky is the recommended way of putting python on the Pokitto, so it has some issues in FemtoIDE.

It should work. Do you get an error message?

Oh sorry, I misremembered the message. for the example project in the release it says: Project has no linux pipeline

Ah, that just means you’re trying to use the simulator but java projects don’t support it.
On the top bar there’s a drop-down, select Pokitto instead of Linux and it should work.

1 Like

This is turning into a slow-chat in the wrong topic now!

I’ll follow the project on github. Hope to see a clear readme there soon as well (I realize the editor is only just released to the public. nice work!)

2 Likes

I don’t remember PlatformIO initially being available when I first got Pokitto actually, but it was a while ago now, I could be wrong.
EmBitz had an editor offline? Did it not have a linux version? That may have been a struggle I had there.

For real though, FemtoIDE has been a major game changer in the way I program Pokitto. It is definitely more convenient for me, and easier to “just get to work”.

1 Like

It wasn’t, but it became available later, prior to Femto.
I’m not sure how things currently stand with PlatformIO.

No it didn’t, it only worked on Windows.
That was its only true downside, but unfortunately a rather fatal one.