Suggest a game jam theme

if that’s the case, then sure why not :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like we are not getting any further suggestions. There is plenty of them already!

3 Likes

Due the limit of the Discourse poll of having max 20 items, we need to limit suggestions to 3 per person. @carbonacat, @pharap, @Zockeromi and @ServalKatze, what are your 3 best suggestions?

I’m kind of in the same boat. I would probably start a new project and actually try and keep it constrained enough to be finishable within the jam’s time frame (I’ve never actually participated in a jam before).

As far as themes goes these are my favorites of the suggested ones:

• A Single Minute
  • 100% for Kids
  • Time loop
  • Upside Down
  • Physics
  • Text
  • Cuteness Overload
  • Demakes (might be fun)
  • Broken Doors :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
1 Like

I choose the following ones:

• Time Loop
  • 100% for Kids
  • Mass Transportation / Travel
2 Likes

That can probably be increased in the server settings.

I’ll go for:

• Text
  • Physics
  • Japan

(I can’t not do Japan. 日本だいすき。)

2 Likes

Cutenes
Demakes
Hollywood

1 Like
  • oceans
  • marching penguins
  • SPACE

(I really like “Cuteness Overload”, though. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

3 Likes

I like how vague a theme Japan is. Beyond samurai and ninja sub-themes, you can also have:

• Empire (strategy/management like Crusader Kings)
  • Military/WW2 (1942 and Sky Destroyer on NES)
  • Yakuza (brawler games)
  • Language (Kanji memorization games)
  • Kaiju (Rampage on DOS/NES/etc)
  • Sentai (Chroma Squad)
  • Food (Cooking Mama, Tapper on NES… but with sushi/sake)
  • Car racing (especially with drifting)
  • Demakes/Parodies of typical japanese videogames
4 Likes

There’s also:

Drifting is more impressive when it’s done with trains.

3 Likes

I’m sure there isn’t an end to the list.

I hadn’t even thought of traditional games. Shoji comes to mind.
As for animals: cranes. With that and cicadas… origami. It could make for an interesting art style for a game. Folklore such as Kitsune can also be interesting characters.

1 Like

Hanafuda! Have Hanafuda Nintendo Cards!

1 Like

There undoubtedly isn’t an end, but this is an excellent excuse to both get people interested in the culture and (hopefully) skew things so that people vote for Japan when the polls open. :P

It’s shogi, with a ‘g’. Though shoji are certainly in tune with a Japanese theme.

For board games, there’s also Go.

Ah, the red crowned cranes (tanchouzuru) of Hokkaido.

Which in turn reminds me of the nihonzaru of Jigokudani, who like to bathe in the natural onsen.

The Paper Mario series is very much this. The latest entry especially.
(The Thousand-Year Door is probably my favourite entry.)

Kitsune are a type of yokai. If we start listing yokai, we could be here for quite some time.

(Though thinking about kitsune reminds me of one of the bosses in Okami.)

2 Likes

Hey, I will make a poll about Game Jam duration. I was thinking about 2 weeks or 1 month as options. Any other suggestions?

3 Likes

1 month sounds fair, a lot of people may be short on spare time, so shorter than that might feel impossible to some.

7 Likes

Max 2 weeks total, during a month?

I know it sound strange, but it could help participants to stay focused on little concept and don’t feel overcome from a long period of development. It will up to users to respect the limit, there’s no reasons to cheat as everybody is here to enjoy the experience.

When we get a poll, I’ll be voting for either three weeks or one month, depending on what’s on offer.

Especially considering that in some countries things have started opening up again so people have been returning to the rat race, doing the school run, and taking the chance to do some of the things they’ve been unable to under COVID restrictions.