[Solved] Getting PlatformIO working for Pokitto

im sorry but its almost inaudible on my laptop

Personally I donā€™t think not having sound is an issue.

However, since other people do, I decided to help you out.
I downloaded the video with ytdl,
cut out the audio with ffmpeg,
and amplified it with audacity.

I havenā€™t been able to successfully knit the two files back together because my ffmpeg knowledge isnā€™t good enough,
but hereā€™s an .mp3 of the amplified audio:

You should be able to right click and ā€˜save audio asā€™.

I ran the ytdl video through ā€˜ffmpeg-normalizeā€™ (super lazy method) and it sounds ok, the windows-notifications are really loud though :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What format is it?
I get a ā€œno video with supported format and MIME type foundā€ message.

I should probably redo it all

Idk if this was the right solution, just my solution since platform IO needs a project to put the pokitto lib on

Eh, I think the discourse integration is messing it up (I see an embedded video), try:

https://www.fokdat.tk/PokittoIO-tutorial.mp4

Should be a similar mp4 file as from youtube-dl.

ā€œVideo canā€™t be played because file is corruptā€.
Itā€™s probably a problem with my browser not liking .mp4 files.
It can view .webms just fine.

Either way, if @adektoā€™s going to redo it, we may as well just wait.

@adekto :

1. I noticed I could just copy the firmware.bin in terminal right on top of the existing one (on my mac)

2. making a post- compilation script/command line call is very easy. check out ā€œcustom uploadā€ on PIO documentation

Iā€™ve just filled an issue on github because the is missing fixmath library.
Is there a way to add it to the platformio library manually?
Does the pokitto library have to be processed in some way to be usable in platformio?

Whatā€™ the future of the Pokitto repository? Do youā€™ll keep multiple versions:

• PokittoLib
  • PokittiCore
  • PokittoIO

edit: love the way you can fast setup a new project with vscode and platformio. Just put this togher with the @FManga sim to debug on the flyā€¦ magic

1 Like

Get the necessary files, drop them in the lib folder and include them using angle bracket includes, i.e. include <fixmath.h>.
Itā€™s that easy.

It has to be installed from PIO Homeā€™s library tab and you have to follow the instructions on the repoā€™s readme:

I know I say this a lot, but Iā€™m so glad I kept pushing for this and Iā€™m really glad @jonne got it working when I couldnā€™t.

1 Like

Too easy :smiley:
Anyway I think it should be a good idea to have the same library already included on both PokittioIO and PokittoLib

Thatā€™s was already clear to me, I was more curious to understand if any src of the library need to be adapted in some way to work with platformio. Keep two different repository synced seems a big effort if everything has to be done by hand.

I think we should move away from the idea of bundling additional libraries with the Pokitto library.

If they can work just by being dragged and dropped into the lib folder then it makes more sense to keep them in separate repos from the main library.

I think we should aim towards making PokittoIO one the main one and slowly deprecating the old one.

I think we should be moving away from EmBitz and the mbed online IDE (if thereā€™s support for the mbed library on PlatformIO) because the former isnā€™t platform independent and the latter doesnā€™t support C++11.

1 Like

#FixMath and SDFileSystem added to PlatformIO package, updated

Ok so FixMath and SDFileSystem are so central that I decided to include them in the Platformio package

Soon I start testing with making the embitz project use the same directory structure as the platformio and begin consolidating PokittoLib and PokittoIO into one.

1 Like

To be honest I think we should just scrap EmBitz and try to get the simulator running on VSCode+PlatformIO.

EmBitz only works on Windows, so Mac and Linux users canā€™t use it, whereas VSCode+PlatformIO is platform independent.
The only advantage EmBitz over VSCode is ā€˜targetsā€™, which are hard for beginners to work with anyway, so Iā€™m not sure keeping it as an option is worth the effort.
Also with PlatformIO, it works on multiple editors, so the people who donā€™t like VSCode have other options (e.g. it was recently noted that Vim can work with PlatformIO, to keep the diehard Linux fans happy :P).

I agree with SDFileSystem being part of the library, but not FixMath.
Partly because I think fixed points are a very specific thing to want use of, and partly because I shamelessly think FixedPoints is better (even though I havenā€™t had chance to work on it in a while) :P.

1 Like