[Solved] Does anybody have an Arduino Due they could use to test an Arduino library?

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to ask this here since we don’t really have an ‘off-topic’ area here (unless the ‘community’ area counts?) and nobody has done anything similar before, but this will eventually benefit the Pokitto*.

Basically I have a library I wrote called FixedPoints (specifically FixedPointsArduino) and from time to time I get people saying that it doesn’t work on certain boards (typically ones I don’t own) because of a misinformed decision I made just before publishing it.

Unfortunately people have a habit of raising an issue and then not hanging around long enough to see it through to the end.
I find myself in that situation once again.

TL;DR:

Long story short, all I need is someone who has an Arduino Due (or possibly other SAM boards, I’m not sure how similar they are) to download the master branch and run the example to confirm that my fixes work properly.

* This will benefit the Pokitto because eventually I’m going to make a more general purpose version which will hopefully work on both normal computers and the Pokitto. I’m using the Arduino-specific version as a testbed to fling things at the wall and see what sticks.

Yes you are allowed to ask off-topic things.

You hang around so much that I’ve made you moderator.

Please come up with a new topic (not “off-topic” if it can be avoided please) that suits your question and lets make a new area for other embedded hacking ideas

1 Like

Thank you. It’s greatly appreciated.
I promise to try to use my moderator abilities wisely, please let me know if I overstep the mark or do something that isn’t as helpful as I thought it would be.

I’ve seen other forums have a “Classifieds” (in reference to the ‘classified ads’ that you sometimes get in newspapers with people asking for specific items or services) and/or “Help Wanted” section.
One of those might be suitable if ‘off-topic’ isn’t desirable.

A “Help Wanted” section would also be good for people who are planning to make a game but don’t have sufficient skill with one of the techniques needed (be it programming, art or sound) so they could advertise for helpers. (Effectively that’s what I’m doing here, but it’s help with a library rather than a game.)

(If you think this needs more discussion, I could open up another thread so others can weigh in if they want, or I can PM you if you’d rather.)

i got a due here the results:

The size of UQ8x8 on your system is:

Displaying a as float:

Displaying the integer part of a

Displaying floorFixed(a):

Displaying ceilFixed(a):

Displaying roundFixed(a):

Displaying truncFixed(a):

Displaying b as float:

Displaying the integer part of b

Displaying floorFixed(b):

Displaying ceilFixed(b):

Displaying roundFixed(b):

Displaying truncFixed(b):

Displaying a + b as float:

Displaying a - b as float:
(Note the underflow due lack of sign bit)

Displaying b - a as float:

Displaying a * b as float:

Displaying a / b as float:

The size of SQ7x8 on your system is:

Displaying a as float:

Displaying the integer part of a

Displaying floorFixed(a):

Displaying ceilFixed(a):

Displaying roundFixed(a):

Displaying truncFixed(a):

Displaying b as float:

Displaying the integer part of b

Displaying floorFixed(b):

Displaying ceilFixed(b):

Displaying roundFixed(b):

Displaying truncFixed(b):

Displaying a + b as float:

Displaying a - b as float:
(Note this is correct due to sign bit)

Displaying b - a as float:

Displaying a * b as float:

Displaying a / b as float:

2 Likes

Excellent.

That was a fast response, I should have asked here first.

Apart from one tiny rounding error (which is pretty much expected and acceptable) it’s all as it should be.

Before I close the issue and make the release, I assume this is your github? (Or do you use github under a different name? Or do you not use github?)
(I need to know so I can name you as the tester and credit you in the release like I did the last time this happened.)

1 Like

yep thats me, but honestly this is nothing
i just happened to have this unused piece of kit in a box close by

1 Like

Even if it wasn’t much effort I like giving credit where credit is due (if you’ll excuse the pun).

Besides, it’s not the amount of effort involved, it’s the importance of the result.

I’ve had that issue sat around for a few weeks and I already asked elsewhere but only got one response and the person in question didn’t actually have a Due, just other SAM boards.
(Which probably would have given the same result, but I like to be thorough.)

As I say, eventually I’ll make a general version that’s usable for the Pokitto. This is a step towards that.

1 Like

Which one is the duo? I have one that is tiny and orange, I’ve just never played with it.

The Arduino Due is one of the SAM boards, it has an ARM Cortex-M3 CPU.
It’s quite a large board, ~10cm by ~5cm.
(Colour is kind of irrelevant because clones are usually different colours anyway. E.g. Sparkfun like to make most of their boards red.)

https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-due

I realized as soon as I saw your reply mine is a nano. Lol sorry.

1 Like