SD card capabilities

?

4 Likes

That looks much more like a pokitto GUI :smiley:

You might want to also move the file extension to the right few pixels (4/8 maybe?) Because right now the screen looks a tad cramped to one side. We need to give those letters some space :wink:

I like the quotation marks around every frigging filename ā€¦ totally oldschool

now if we could just add some cryptic ascii characters with no purpose whatever, mm-mm!

is there any sort of filtering we can have?

Filtering by filename extension is already done. Directories not yet implemented.

The API is like this game.filemenu(".bmp") would open a list of bmp only

so we can have a program filter

Iā€™ll try to clean this up a bit and release it asap so you can start adding functionality using the sim. meanwhile I will be continuing work on the hardware code. this is the level of functionality needed for the program loader and I am eager to get to the next stage (flashing the selected program)

its a bit rough but heres a graphical app tray mockup

4 Likes

Perhaps the pokitto games/apps will have icons?

3 Likes

It would be pretty cool if they had icons. We would need the programmers to make a 1bit icons for their games/programs, and have some default executable icon for when they donā€™t. I will try to come up with something in an hour or so.

Also, can we test it with like 2 more pixels of space between lines? We might lose one line because of it, but I think it will make the text more readable in the long run.

I suppose itā€™s worth a try, but It wonā€™t stick to my 8x8 tile rule if that happens.

3 Likes

I have to say, the GUI looks pretty awesome @spinal.

I do like the extra spacing, and I think as long as the whole textbox that holds file names and extensions keeps within the multiples of 8x8 it would be fine :slight_smile:

I changed the SD card icon a bit, to go more with the pokitto branding:

Just made few basic ones, because I am not sure what Pokitto will be able to open. They are 24x24 pixels:

• Unknown file (unrecognized format, not openable on pokitto)
  • Executable file (in a perfect world, each program would provide its icon, but if not, that would be a default).
  • Music File (I believe @NullMember is working on a music tracker)
  • Image (I know pokitto can draw bitmaps directly, so a picture viewer app is possible)
  • Text (for readme files and other txt)

I assume that any applications that need file access will use the built in viewer, this way we can add some whimsy to file browsing :slight_smile:

I also started working on a generic file loading screen, but I am not sure if it would be useful. If it would I can finish it.

5 Likes

Actually there are two different music file type. One for song and another one for instrument/patch. Can you make another icon for patch file type? I really like to see sine wave or triangle wave icon on it (if you have another idea just do it. I know your sprites and icons are just beautiful) :smile:

I love the little pokkito file loading thing @VonBednar!

I didnā€™t see it reading the topic, but what is the max size for sd card capacity? I saw fat isnā€™t that like 32 gig? I know I had to put exfat on my pocket chip to use a 64 gig card with it.

love the sd icons
I do think the programs are .bin due to that usb stuff I would not change the file extension.

The sd has to be FAT16 idk much about it but looking on Microsoft website max volume size is 4gb
Exfat makes it harder and needs a custom implementation theres allot of extra data that might couse slower loads aswell

4gb max will be fine for any uses that I can think of. Smaller micro/sd cards are nice and cheap. I was expecting to see a couple of other designs here, but if weā€™re building on one main idea Iā€™m ok with that :sunglasses:

I am glad you like the icons guys :slight_smile:

@NullMember - I will add an instrument/patch icon. I like the idea of sine wave, but I am not sure if it will be recognizable by people who donā€™t use trackers. I will give it a try with sine and maybe an instrument (maybe few piano keys).

@spinal - Your design is basically exactly what I wanted to make, so there is no point making a slight variation, so I thought I would just tag along :slight_smile:

@BigBadHodad - I will work on the loading screen, even if it is not something that can be used on pokitto, we can always turn it into something else :wink:

Edit: @NullMember - see which icon you like more:

1x

2x

1 Like

I like both of them (sine wave is beautiful) but I think piano is more suitable :slight_smile: what others think?

I like the piano one, it represents music a lot more I think.

I donā€™t know how this is going to work from a technical side, but could app icons use their own palettes?