Online Python Editor for Pokitto!

FEATURE UPDATE: Python Editor now contains the support for tilemaps:

• “Tilemap” is now one of the ready-made examples in Python Editor: pyinsky.herokuapp.com
  • You can use the integrated pixel editor to draw the tilemap :slight_smile: It works exactly like drawing a bitmap or sprite, but for tilemap each pixel means one tile. You can freely choose which color of a pixel you use to represent a particular tile.
  • There can be many simultaneous tilemaps. That is handy for creating parallax scrolling layers. However, a tilemap cannot contain transparent pixels.
  • The tilemap can be arbitrary size and position.
  • The tiles can be arbitrary size (the width must be divisible by two as with all bitmaps in mode 2).
  • It is very easy to use. The tilemap API contains total 3 methods, Tilemap(), set_tile() and draw(), which are explained here: [Wiki] Reference: Pokitto gaming API for Python (uPyGame and umachine)
  • It is very, very fast! :+1::+1::+1: Based on @FManga 's excellent Tilemap engine.

The tilemap:
The tiles:
image image image
The hero:

The game:

Here is the video of the tilemap in action. Note that the FPS is over 80 (!).

(Graphics by Lanea Zimmerman, https://opengameart.org/content/tiny-16-basic. Licensed under CC-BY 3.0.)

7 Likes

I’ve been playing with the editor a bit last week and I’m really enjoying it. Using python and pygame makes for a nice experience making games

What I’m wondering is how the games performance in the editor will compare to how it will run on the actual pokitto? I dont own one yet, so I cant test it on the proper hardware. Is there a suggested max size for the .bin files or anything like that?

2 Likes

The real HW is much faster. You can get close to the real HW speed if you use the standalone version of the Pokitto emulator here: https://github.com/felipemanga/PokittoEmu/releases/download/v0.0.6/PokittoEmu-windows.zip
Short instructions:

• Unzip to your local drive
  • Copy the game binary (“build.bin”) to the same folder as the emulator under the name: “file.bin”
  • Start PokittoEmu.exe
2 Likes

There are 256 kb of ROM in the HW.

The hardware also has the loader in ROM, so you don’t have all 256kb free. I don’t remember how much we actually have available.

1 Like

I’ve been sticking to about 200kb for safety.

1 Like

@Hanski can you add the link to the github project https://github.com/felipemanga/PyInSky
Expecially for the issue section?

@fmanga Is it ok for you if I add to the top post a link to the github issues page for reporting bugs and feature requests?

1 Like

Sure!  

I think this is ready…
SourceCode (31.7 KB)
Noggin.bin (145.0 KB)
inGame titleScreen

7 Likes

Great! Added to the list.

1 Like

Added to the top post.

2 Likes

I don’t think I could ever consider a game finished but I would like to enter my first ever playable game for Pokitto! I call it Angry Space Toast.
github with todo list.
AngrySpaceToast.zip (97.8 KB)
AngSpcTst.bin (140.0 KB)

ast

Just a simple avoidance game where you’re objective is to not get clobbered by the angry space toast. You have a shield, but it can only take so much buttery angst. Once that is depleted you have minimal health remaining before you’re toast.
A is the button to start the round. Movement is with D-pad but thrust is either UP or A. No other controls yet.

Edit: Now with stars! (and better commented code!)
Edit2: Nicer looking title screen.
Edit3: No more immortal off-screen bug. UI fixed for Best score.
Edit4: Best wasn’t being updated appropriately

10 Likes

I have an update to my entry, I’d like for it to replace my entry in post #2. Thanks.

Noggin.bin (147.9 KB)
Noggin.zip (36.3 KB) - Source, first line includes permission to use the titlescreen font.

01 02

03 04

Update includes Instructions and higher framerate.

7 Likes

Updated the list.

1 Like

Added to the list.

Plays very fast on HW.

Btw. I noticed that I can get infinite points if I go up, out of screen :wink:

1 Like

Really? Have I missed a bug?

I mean in Angry Space Toast.

1 Like

@Hanski , even though I can not win the competition, can we still include “Pyrates!” in the entries?

If it weren’t for the compo, I wouldn’t have made it. And I want to take part.

I have released v2 which actually has gameplay and can be enjoyed

com-gif-maker

1 Like

Youch! Few fixes I need to make it seems :x…
Fixed! If you get a chance to update my entry (that is allowed right?) that would be good :slight_smile: