Online Python Editor for Pokitto!

Keep adding to: “place to visit in my life” :grin:

Added to Spring 2019 Contest.zip [Release & Competition] Online Python Editor for Pokitto!

3 Likes

One random optimization tip: in loops, avoid indirect references. Instead cache data to local variables.
E.g. before loop set objx = obj.rect.x and use objx inside the loop, if that is constant inside the loop. The same can be used for function names, e.g. blit = sprite.blit. Python is slow if it needs to do many reference lookups on each loop operation.

5 Likes

To the loo.

That same advice applies to certain other dynamic languages too, e.g. Lua.

It can also apply in C++ even, but it’s rarer for it to make a difference because of the level of optimisation available to a static type system.

2 Likes

Updated the entry.

1 Like

Looks interesting! Added to the list.

That’s a classic! Added to the list.

1 Like

As I mentioned elsewhere this puzzle has an interesting backstory! Added to the list.

So after cursing Python, web browser and the world, Legend of Lanea is finally here!

I used the word ‘cursing’ but it was more like a love-hate relationship :slight_smile: More seriously using the tool has been great, the workflow is good, super direct. It allowed me to iterate much quicker. And coding + editing maps in the same web page, that was super great! So yeah thanks a lot for pulling this tool out guys/girls.

Looking back I do believe I took some wrong design decision for the coding. This is what mostly led me to having RAM issues, which I had to solve by putting dirty tricks in the code. So yeah it’s not as clean as it initially was, but it works :slight_smile: I do plan on trying to clean up and rewrite it in a more efficient way, maybe.

All in all it has been a great ride and I can’t wait to play all the entries, after a long rest…

4 Likes

You made it just in time! :sweat_smile: Congrats!

1 Like

Wow, this contest has created so many cool new games for the Pokitto! There’s still some time before the contest closes, right? Midnight everywhere on earth? I didn’t really get any time to try to make something until this weekend, but still I wanted to try to make a proper game in python for this contest. I’m almost done with my game, but I still need to finish the graphics.

5 Likes

In the central US it is only 19:05 :thinking:… the officials are sleeping since it is long passed the middle of the night.

1 Like

Is Pokitto MicroPython IDE down now?
Even if push play button, it doesn’t fade now.

Sorry for same question again, but I want to know offline way of building from .py to .bin.
I read about Embitz, but on backend of MicroPython IDE, it uses something CUI batch process, I suppose.
For example, can I use PlatformIO or something to build Python app? And how to do it?

If you have nodejs installed you can git clone the pyinsky repo and run it locally with a node server.

1 Like

Thank you!
I’ll try it.

1 Like

I just did it today. Was super simple!

1 Like

Finished up my entry! I would have added a few more things, like a title screen or sound effects, but I ran out of time. Still, I think it turned out fun, if a bit simple.

I’m excited to play all the other entries when I have time, because they look great!

6 Likes

Wow great stuff, thanks for your entry.

ok everybody,

I’ve just woken up so I guess we can now say this was the competition deadline.

The compo was so much fun that we have to do this again. I really enjoyed following how everyone worked and I am surprised at the number and the quality of games submitted in such a short time

We will now set up the technical stuff for streaming videos about the entries. For example, I will hook up a DSLR to video the games on hardware and build a remote-controlled pokitto, so that I won:t have to film my hands all the time :wink:

More on this soon, once again a big thank you to everyone, including all Pokitto fans who supported and motivated.

5 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be down now. It must have been asleep. To wake it up, just try again.

It is possible to build using embitz (and PlatformIO, I presume) but the process isn’t as quick and friendly.
One thing that will be a problem, if I remember correctly, is that you’re on Mac OS. Hanski’s scripts are Windows batch files and mine are for Linux. For pyinsky to run you’ll need to replace gcc-arm-none-eabi.

An offline and platform-independent version of the IDE is being planned.

1 Like

Zelda-esque, wow! I cannot wait to play this :slight_smile: Added to the list.

1 Like