Pysconian[WIP]

Python + Bosconian = Pysconian

Working on graphics at the moment

10 Likes

I love it!! I played a version of this on a tv plug and play for hours.

I am going to try to make it as faithful as possible

EDIT: all the gfx are actually redrawn by hand, the difference in resolution forces me to do so

2 Likes

That is so exciting :grin: oh my gosh too good.

Coding with Python is so easy

pysconian

8 Likes

OH MY GOSH!! :open_mouth: This looks SO good!

1 Like

Looks absolutely great!
Btw. I am currently implementing fast vertical or horizontal mirrored blit in upygame API. That will save some ROM & drawing effort

4 Likes

Great!

Main problem is that I’m running out of RAM. 70 mines, 6 bases with 6 pods, 20 projectiles, all gameobjects with x,y,wx,wy,w,h,explosion,visibility,status and so on

I may have to de-objectify my code into global bytearrays to fit in enemies and asteroids

1 Like

Yeah, that is what I have also done with bullets in Pokitron. No objects, but just a list of coordinates.

I am now coding “the proper way” with modules and classes (no globals), and I am enjoying Python even more.

Python is even better with OOP

4 Likes

I still need to fully learn that for python.

There are many examples of Python classes and modules in the competition entries.

1 Like

I’ve skimmed a few of them early on. The different styles everyone uses is so cool :smile:

1 Like

FYI I grabbed a lot of code from Jetpack by @bl_ackrain. Amazingly, he says its his first Python prog and made in 3 days

2 Likes

I can believe it, python seems very familiar, it reminds me a lot of old BASIC.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know how many used Python the first time in competition.

2 Likes

Not only that, how many people don’t own Pokitto’s.

But yeah, this was my first attempt an anything in python.

3 Likes

For me too

2 Likes

Everything is better with OOP.

4 Likes

With no bytearrays, I was able to get up from 70 to 135 mines by optimizing the code.

The trick was simple. If you pass an object to a function, and you extend that object inside that function, the original instance expands. It is not a copy, it is a reference.

Replacing expanded attributes with local variables and the instances stayed small = twice the amount of mines.