[Tool]Pokitto Music Tracker

Added blinking play icon to the left top corner to make it more clear the play mode is on

2 Likes

Wow! You make huge progress.
I already reported this issue :sweat_smile:

Thanks for your contribution :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you propose we collaborate? Where do I upload the changes, so that you can also edit?

EDIT: the half not difference came from the frequency table, that starts from B instead of C

2 Likes

You can add it to PokittoLib or create new GitHub repo. My suggestion is create new GitHub repo. So everyone can contribute :slight_smile:

1 Like

I added it as a Examples/Tracker target on both EmBitz hardware project and PokittoSim project.

I am sorry for doing it like this, a separate repo would probably have been better, but there were some modifications to file reading that are intricately linked etc. Maybe we split it in the future.

Also, when going into patch settings. I have removed the instr[15] instrument structure you made. This is because it was faster that re-writing my cryptic loops inside the Synth library that depend on the patch[] array. So instruments are stored in the patch[] arrays declared in Synth.h. Maybe we clean up that later.

The main point is, the project is in the Examples folder and be compiled and runs on both hardware and sim.

Now @NullMember… we need to fix the editing of the pattern in the UI. You should record the last selected instrument and pitch, and when you tap into edit mode, you should auto-fill the previous values. This makes making a drum-loop etc easier.

In the patch settings screen, I was expecting to be able to change wave type etc by pressing left and right. Could you add that?

2 Likes

I want to add single or multiple row copy & paste function but since we don’t have much buttons, I cannot choose how I can do this.

I will fix it today and make PR :slight_smile:

Thanks for your hard work and sorry about delay. This project must be finished months ago but things did not go as I wanted

2 Likes

I have experience of this functionality and it really works. It is really useful. I think you should add it.

Another useful feature is accelerated press, ie if you press down first and then press A/B/C you jump 4 rows or more

Awesome to see some progress on this again. Can’t wait to be able to mess around with it on hardware. Might eventually be as useful as something like lsdj?

1 Like

It will be so cool to be able to make chiptune tracker songs with Pokitto :slight_smile:

1 Like

Outputting sound now for the first time, yay!

1 Like
6 Likes

@NullMember

Hey Malik!

I added ‘B’ longpress in navigation mode (mode 0) to delete an entry

I added the “auto note copy” feature, where the note entry starts with the last entry you put in. This is not just a matter of convenience - we must not have a situation, where there is a patch entered but no pitch. Try it and you’ll see why it works like it does. I have documented my code pretty clearly, you will see what I have added in the Tracker::checkButtons routine.

All in all, @NullMember, you’ve done a really good job on the Tracker UI code. It is easy to work on top of it.

What is now most needed is to fix the settings-screen so that you can edit the instruments. I hope you have time to look at it. I have uploaded all my changes to the GitHub repo.

I am just about to try adding the actual pattern play routine.

4 Likes

I made PR :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am tracking on Pokitto. For real.

5 Likes

This is something I personally am looking after the most !

You will see a video of this same running on hardware tomorrow (I know it runs, I just do not have time to make the video tonight anymore)

The idea is this: original Rboy Tracker has been modified to be exactly similar (sample rate, synthesis etc) as the Pokitto Simulator and Pokitto hardware. They all use same synthesis routines now.

This allows you to develop music on the Rboy Tracker on a PC using a mouse and keyboard, or on the Pokitto simulator and also on the Pokitto hardware !

I need to remind you of a few things:

• the tracker was intended as a super-limited tracker for low memory and cpu usage
  • as a result sound possibilities are not like an “Amiga tracker”

… but it does not stop you from having fun!

Watch out! The video may be loud

3 Likes

I approve of the choice of test tune.

The bit-tune-yness (for want of a better word) of it is giving me GBA nostalgia.

Oh yeah! :grin:

5 Likes

I would be so great to be able to make songs on-the-go with Pokitto!
Btw. There seems to be quite much distortion in the sound. In guess that is due the small speaker. What is the sample rate? Does it sound better via headphones?

1 Like

What you no appreciate my efforts at hard rock sounds? :grimacing:

Believe it or not that was 44.1kHz. The distortion is probably due to a lot of clipping resulting from adding the waveforms and overshooting 0xFF.

As with many things, this can also improved alot.

I will release the code soon so you can get to examine the distortion.

3 Likes