Pokitto is family

So I’ve been mulling this over for a couple of weeks, I didn’t want to sound like some sort of attention/sympathy horse but I wanted to make sure just how important this little orange and white friend is.

Middle of June I had a heart attack and was in the hospital for 5 days during that time the only visitors I had were the nurses. They misplaced my clothes luckily the stuff in my pockets was there my phone and pokitto. That little device kept me company and entertained during the literally maddening days stuck there. I played the game boy 2048 most, I even tried Abbey but I cannot do those Nintendo hard games anymore.

I feel great now, still the doc is holding me out of work until the follow up so I’m using the time to rest exercise (lost 15£ so far) and brush up on my guitar.

There is an idea for a hat a guitar tuner hat with
6 string
Bass
6 string ukelele (what I currently have)
4 string ukelele

I can imagine the hats I just could never make it lol.

9 Likes

With the experience of this accumulated community I bet there is someone with enough experience to make a tuner hat happen :smile:

Sorry to hear about such a scary life event! I couldn’t imagine.

3 Likes

I’m happy to hear you survived your heart attack & on the way to recovery. Great stuff. I can also say this is one of the most heartwarming stories related to Pokitto so far. As the “father” of Pokitto, it’s not a small thing to me.

As for the tuner, I have no idea how they work in practise. I think they are some sort of vibration/accelerometer tech (at least the ones I see that need to be clipped to the guitar)

5 Likes

Impressive that you had such luck and strength in your situation. And so nice to hear that pokitto was your little pal that helped you recover.

4 Likes

Wouldn’ t it be some kind of spectrum analyser? And then the fundamental frequency should be determined and compared to the desired frequency?

2 Likes

no that is far more complicated. i am 100% sure the simple tuners are based on vibration not sound spectrum analysis

You’e probably right. I was thinking more about the tuning apps for the smartphone for example.

I also think the tuner applications work by analyzing the spectrum… which is analyzing the vibrations… There are also things like autocorrelation.

EDIT:

From the article:

It can also be used to estimate the pitch of a musical tone.

I have a clip on, it says it reads the vibrations when clipped and it has a mic also.

1 Like

Well update, due to the doctors office dragging their bottom, it’s august and I still haven’t been cleared to return to work even though my cholesterol , triglycerides and glucose are all super under control and I had no chest pains or anything on the stress test (that I finally got to go in for three weeks too late) vacation hours are all gone, short term disability is gone, thanks to the doctor telling the disability determination people at work that I would be released by July 20th even though they kept pushing my appointment back until August. This has become super depressing and to top it all off my company sent a letter that requires I go to post office tomorrow and sign for it, the only time they send registered letters is for terminations. Lurvely.

Oh man, that is really crap news. I wish I could do something more than hope you good luck and strength.

On the positive side it seems your recovery is going well, so hang on to that. If you have health, things will turn around in the end.

I am sending a work-in-progress version of Pysconian to you by PM later today (as soon as I get it stable enough to play). It’s not much, but at least you have something to look at.

6 Likes

Here is a good news I talked to the manager at the store and I may get to go back Saturday.

8 Likes