[Pine-2K][Game] Hoppy!

Hoppy! [wip]

It is raining Jelly Boons! Help Gobo hop on his trampoline to slice the Boons before they make a mess of your home!

Controls:

• A To attack the Boons. This uses 1 energy (meter on the left)
  • B increases the jump power, but also the rebound of the trampoline and uses 1 energy!
  • Left/Right to move, the trampoline launches you depending where you land making it more difficult.
  • You can attack multiple times in the air as long as you have energy. You can bounce off of the Boons so don’t worry about damage, use the rebound for chain combos!

github for source
Hoppy-1.0.zip (7.0 KB)

Dev History

TODO:

• The brilliant mind of @Vampirics recommended obstacles, so I’m working to introduce Score balloons! So instead of just random score for holding A, you will eventually pop balloons in score mode to get points. This adds more skill to the game :wink:
  • I need a Title and a Splash
  • Border art
  • Sound/Music
  • Possibly, if room, more customized sprites? (or search the builtins :wink: )

Update 1

• there is now a randomly located Boon (my daughter calls balloons boons so I’m going with that since they will eventually look more like little creatures than balloons anyway). They get “popped” when you touch them for now but will eventually need to be attacked to pop.

• I did some rework of the jumping logic. It is much better now I think. Not so chaotic.

• Added some grass :smiley:

Update 2

Finishing up!
New GIF :smiley:

• Added Energy meter. It now takes 1 energy to jump higher (with UP) and 1 energy to attack (with A). Energy is recharged by hopping gently in the middle of the trampoline.

• Added Combo!. Now you can attack the Boons in mid air with multiple strikes! The Combo meter (very bottom) will increase for every kill you do before landing back on the trampoline. The score is increased + 5 * combo.

• Added better grass and a tree. Changed the colours a lot to be a little less jarring. Using a pink trampoline to make it easier to see where you need to land.

• The Boons now float away in a pink ghost shape (thanks to the awesome builtins I’ve been hunting) after you kill them.

• Fixed up a ton of the “physics” logic.

• Highscore is now saved.

• Added a Splash, which is obviously temporary xD

I hope to finish this by the end of today, but this is the progress I’ve made so far.

Update 3

• Fixed up the title and splash images.

• Adjusted the game over logic to reset cleaner.

• “finalized” most things. I still want to add sfx though.

Update 4

Setting to released! I still need/want to add sound, but as for “gameplay” it is finished I think :slight_smile:
Attached a zip of the project under the top gif.

All source is still on Github: github for source

It was brought to my attention that the “energy meter” on the left side actually looks like a life count meter instead. so I might look into updating that to represent energy instead of little lives.

9 Likes

This is looking really cool. Need to add it to my ever-growing list of games to play (and get the highscore :stuck_out_tongue:).

1 Like

Nah … stick with the minimalist art you have!

1 Like

I’m afraid after getting comfortable with the controls, someone of your caliber may find it to he a bit of a grind :sweat_smile: but I am planning to try and add a “hard mode”

For the pending update of v1.1 I’d really like to finally get the finished sounds in. Right now I’ve worked on one for the bounce, but adding it ran into some problems xD

Planned audio update:

• Jumping sound
  • Slash sound
  • Squelchy splat when Boon killed
  • Gameover chime
  • Possible in-game music loop?
2 Likes

Seems a little fun game :grinning:
How are you going to create the sounds?

1 Like

I was playing with Beepbox in FemtoIDE :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am going to do the same (after reading your article :slight_smile: )

1 Like

This is missing from the gamedisk I noticed

I see it here: https://github.com/pokitto/GameDisk/tree/master/pine-2k/hoppy ?

2 Likes

Yeah, somehow the search missed it

I still need to finish it :sweat_smile:

1 Like